1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

145th Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Will be very very interesting now that TV is on the peacock. Thank the Lord above that they're not playing at Birkdale so we don't have to hear Miller telling everyone where he hit it, and what he hit. Just once I wanna hear Mr. Michelob say "Shut up, John."

That said, I saw the TV times......good grief, I won't be worth a shit at work.......

Thursday, July 14: 1:30 am. - 4 p.m. (Eastern), Golf Channel

Friday, July 15: 1:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Eastern), Golf Channel

Saturday, July 16: 4 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern), NBC

Sunday, July 17: 4 a.m - 2 p.m. (Eastern), NBC

I'll take McIlroy to win. Fowler in top 5. Darkhorse is Westwood.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I legit think Sergio might win this year.

/ducking

Actually, give me DJ in b2b.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Last six winners at Troon have been Americans but a diverse mix of long and short hitters: long -- Palmer, Weiskopf, Calcavecchia; short -- T. Watson, Leonard. In between is Todd Hamilton but he was sneaky-long.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They haven't been back since Hamilton. My memory is a sieve, but didn't Cink beat Watson there?

5. Double Down

That was Turnberry, the place Mr. Trump now owns.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, a place I often stand.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Shocked the name hasn't been changed to Trumpberry.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Seeing Watson lose to Cink was probably the biggest disappointment in golf I have watched on TV in my 50+; how cruel that Watson needed only a par on the 72nd and he could not get up and down (that putt for par was the epitome of a 59 yr old's putt).

9. Double Down

What sucks is he hit a really good approach into the green that probably would have stopped in the middle 90 times out of 100. It's not like Mickelson at Winged Foot. He was maybe a hair pumped up, and a better caddy might have told him to hit 9 instead of 8, and then he easily 2-putts to win. I literally had tears of joy in my eyes when he put his drive in the fairway. It was insane. The playoff was so uncomfortable. If you recall, Cink literally won by six shots. But if that 8-iron bounces a foot short, it probably says on the green. Would have been one of the craziest moments in sports history.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep I was right there with you. Felt so sad when saw his chip and then the putt; the chip looked bad from the start.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watson even said that after he missed the par putt, he knew he had no chance in the playoff.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll never look at Watson again and not think of Turnberry.

I'm with Double Down, I really do think Sergio will get a major at some point. I was down on him for a decade but I think he's ready. Though I think he'd be more likely to bag one from off the pace on Sunday by shooting 66 than from the final group.

Draft saved Draft deleted