1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Elie Wiesel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 2, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Elie Wiesel dead at 87; survived Holocaust, won Nobel - CNN.com

Wonderful man and writer, conscience for humanity. 87 years old. My son just read "Night" as part of the high school curriculum. That book seems to continue gaining influence.

Took on enormous influence from his modest professional beginnings in journalism.

An American citizen who often told political jokes.

cranberry, YankeeFan and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Israeli-American, dammit!

Batman likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What a powerful book that is. RIP.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

According to this, you are wrong. You are, of course, free to find something else to the contrary.

More than once, people have claimed that Wiesel defended Israel when it was deserving of criticism and condemnation. But he retorted, “I am not an Israeli citizen and I do not live there. As a result, I will never interfere in its internal affairs or criticize its actions.”

Elie Wiesel: Quietly moving worlds

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

LOL. It was a joke on you, and you showed up right on time.

Batman and YankeeFan like this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity, when he spoke at my college, to sit in on an interview he did with the school paper, which ended up lasting two hours. He was one of the most genuinely gracious people I've ever met.

RIP to a great man.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hey dumbass, as part of the joke, you really should be kinda accurate about what you're joking about.

Now, in all seriousness (am I allowed to be?), RIP to an incredible man whose work made this world a much better place.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Incredible to get out of a place like this and to find a way to live a productive life.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess I first became aware of Wiesel in he mid-1980s when he spoke out publicly against Ronald Reagan leaving a wreath at the Bitburg cemetary in Germany. Nobody better served the memory of the people who perished in the holocaust or the dignity of those who survived it.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Max Blumenthal would like a word.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just a great man. RIP.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Very similar experience. He spoke at the school I went to in the late 1980s, and I somehow ended up spending a few hours with him that day. He left a huge impression on me, less because of anything in particular we discussed, but because of how comfortable with himself he was and how comfortable he made me. The thing that amazed me most about him was the love he had for humanity. He was subject to the worst that people have done to other people. And yet he was one of the most hopeful people you can imagine. Just a remarkable man.

TowelWaver and YankeeFan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted