1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami is America's worst place to live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, not Miami, Ohio...

Is Miami such a bad place to live? It’s ‘the worst,’ this study says

Mostly due to economics, with one of four Miami residents below the poverty level, according to the study. And it's okay for the local media to lash back, but at least have a bit more perspective than this gem written by Michelle Kaufman:

"Never mind that Miami has warm weather, world-famous beaches, cruise ships, tourists, a vibrant multicultural community, Art Basel, fashion models, cuisine of all kinds, exciting night life, and a soaring skyline."

And the three of four people living in poverty get to enjoy all of those things, don't they?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How could LeBron abandon them in their time of civic need?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Please.

A city with all that primo coke can't be that bad.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Warm weather."

That's one understated way of putting it.

I wouldn't say worst, though. At least not from my time there decades ago. I've lived in at least two worse places.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the actual article, but this survey seems to be weighted very heavily toward housing affordability. That's the only way I can see Santa Barbara being on that list (No. 41).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Take away economics (assume for a moment you can live anywhere you choose), and half those places on the list would go away. Many others (Detroit, Flint, etc.) would stay.

To me THAT is the true measure of "worst." No matter how much you make, it's still shitty here.

Miami, SF, NY, Boston, etc., may be "unaffordable", but that, IMO, is a whole different list.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Miami, but I would say a median home value $70,000 above the national average and a median household income about $20,000 below the national average is a bad mix.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

How good of a place is it to get your ass kicked?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not bad.

[​IMG]

jpetrie18, amraeder and Stoney like this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Of course if you can survive a chain-saw murder, Miami is one giant p---y just waiting to get f---ed.

Iron_chet likes this.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Florida taxpayers and voters should be nauseated by the toxic slime puking from Lake Okeechobee onto both Florida coasts. Tourists certainly are. It takes an even stronger stomach to listen to Florida Governor Rick Scott's non-responsive answers on who bears responsibility for the state's worst environmental catastrophe: the state does.

Social media sites like Bullsugar.org and SWFL Clean Water Movement, are filled with photos and videos of toxic blue-green algae coating iconic real estate with visually compelling disgust. That algae is being linked by scientists to brain disorders in humans, like Alzheimer's. That algae is tied to horrendous skin infections resistant to standard antibiotic treatment. All of this is adding up to a massive problem for Florida's tourism-dependent businesses, silence from the Florida Department of Health, and evasions by Gov. Rick Scott.

EYE ON MIAMI: Florida's water quality catastrophe: taxation without representation ... by gimleteye

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That list is bullshit.

There's ZERO chance there are 25 places worse to live in than Baltimore.

Draft saved Draft deleted