1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO Go thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 28, 2016.

1. I'm confused .... I think I might be (slightly) screwed too.

I got the HBO Go through iPad app store. Awesome!
    Game of Thrones!
    Game of Thrones!
    Game.
    Of.
    Thrones!
    Going to watch Season 6. Now. Going to binge watch it.
    I have - of thought I had HBO Go access through by Samsung Smart Tv. I watch Netflix and Amazon through the TV.

Apparently, HBO Go requires a cable provider to watch on my Smart TV?? And all the HBO Go complaints on the App store reviews bitch about how shitty Chromecast is for this app.

But AHA!!! I also have Amazon Fire TV Stick! Fuck You Alliser Thorne!!!!
    Alas, it also reads as if I need a cable TV provider.
    My provider Baratheon Cable is not supported by the Lannister Network.

As I understand it, I have HBO Go, but I will have the watch Game of Thrones Season 6 on screen smaller Tyrion Lannister?
    Yes? No?
    Solutions?
    Hand of the King?

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Do you have HBO Go or HBO Now? HBO Go is an app/website for cable subscribers. HBO Go should always ask for your cable provider. HBO Now offers the same basic service to non-cable subscribers, but you have to pay for it, too, though there's probably a trial period after you first download it. You wouldn't be asked about your cable provider if you're using it.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You've always had to subscribe to HBO through cable/satellite to use HBO Go. You want HBO Now.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

yup if you want to use on both tv and mobile device you have to pay for HBO
    through your cable provider. I've not taken the time yet but I think there are
    some Kindle Fires that you can project what ever you are watching to a networked
    TV which may be that answer

5. HBO Now. I have HBO. HBO Go comes with it.

6. It wants my cable provider when I try to connect HBO Now subscription ot my smart tv.

7. And now my wife tells me I should have purchased HBO through Amazon and not the Apple App store.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are all over the place. If you subscribe to HBO via cable or FIOS, etc. you get HBO Go included. Just log in via your provider. The app you use to access HBO Go depends on the device. You don't need to purchase the app. It is free. You'd use the Amazon app for a Kindle Fire or for a Fire TV stick. You'd use the Apple App for an iPhone or iPad, etc. You can have both apps -- the appropriate app on the corresponding device.

For what it is worth, I have used HBO Go with a Chromecast. It works fine -- using the HBO Go app from an iPhone or from the Chrome browser on a computer and streaming to the Chromecast.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Is it asking for cable provider or participating provider? If you purchased it through Apple, that's what it's asking for. If you purchased through Amazon, it wants that. There are companies (including Verizon and a few others) that you can purchase your HBO Now subscription from. If you make the payment through one of those, you should be able to log in using the email that you registered with your account.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Not true. You can subscribe to HBO Now through other means and access on multiple devices.
    HBO NOW | Ways to Watch

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Curb' is coming back.
    Plus they've got 'Westworld' coming and a new Danny McBride series on the way.

We might have to reconsider HBO. We got rid of it about a year ago and have not missed it at all.
    But now, I'm thiinking ...

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Evil subscribes to a cable provider that doesn't have HBO Go access. Must be Podunk Cable.

Draft saved Draft deleted