1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dodger Stadium

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spadjo martin, Jun 25, 2016.

1. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Hitting Imperial Beach just south of San Diego for vacation. Padres are playing a day game in Los Angeles that week. So, is it worth the drive up to LA to take in a a game there and turn it into a day trip, or should the wife and I just stay put and drink beer on the beach? If we do go, how bad will the traffic be? I wouldn't mind seeing a game in Dodger Stadium, but it's not like it's a bucket list item, either.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just don't wear any San Francisco team stuff.

HanSenSE and Chef2 like this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Depends a lot on the day of the week.
    But Imperial to Chavez Ravine in the afternoon would be leave-at-2 kind of thing; return would be probably about 2 and a half hours.
    IMO, not worth it unless Dodger Stadium is a must-see.

OTOH, you could leave after traffic and go to Langer's for lunch, bump around Silverlake and then go to the game.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is still the case, but when I went in 2012, they didn't even open the parking lots (let alone the stadium) until two hours before first pitch.

We got there about 3 hours early because we were worried about traffic and ended up sitting bumper-to-bumper on the side of a hill until they unlocked the gates.

Once they did that, it was like the Indy 500 as people raced to get the good parking spots.

That said, the experience inside the stadium is awesome. Few better places to see a game, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Tweener likes this.
  5. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

It's a 12:10 start which is the only reason I would consider going, if that makes any difference.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

50 buck parking in a lot Frank McCourt still owns -- uh, no. There are other reasons I no longer go to a stadium I sorta grew up in, but that's enough for starters. Beer on the beach vs. Dodger Stadium is an easy choice.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Stay on the beach and drink beer. Honestly if you don't hit insane traffic on the way there you will on the way back. Unless you are die hard for one team or the other, or if Chavez Ravine is on your bucket list, I would avoid it.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's Dodger Stadium ... go.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It was a bucket item list for me and the fam and we went the last time we were in Cali, probably took us 90 minutes to drive from Laguna Hills for a Sunday matinee in July but it was worth it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess it depends whether you will get back to Southern California or Los Angeles again and how much of a baseball fan you are. I love Dodger Stadium, but for me it's not worth the trip you describe.

Tweener likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No way would I consider a SD to Chavez Ravine trip in a day; traffics brutal from OC to LA, especially during day and not worth it IMHO, go to Petco and wait until you stay in Weat LA before going to Dodger Stadium.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't he say the Padres were playing at LA?

Draft saved Draft deleted