1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor | Ashtabula, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Description:

The Ashtabula, Ohio, Star Beacon seeks a multi-media smart editor to lead our sports department. Candidates need planning and organization skills, a sharp eye for on and off the field coverage, good reporting, writing and storytelling abilities and visual flair as a page designer. Familiarity with producing content for digital platforms, including social media, is necessary. Knowledge of photography and video is a plus.

Coverage focuses primarily on high school athletics in eight school districts, but Ashtabula is within an hour of Cleveland and two hours of Pittsburgh, and so planning consistent coverage of the Cavs, Indians, Browns, Steelers and Ohio State Buckeyes comes with the job.

Applicants should send their resume, cover letter and work samples to Editor Matt Hutton at: mhutton@starbeacon.com.

The Star Beacon is a member of the CNHI newspaper group, a leading provider of local news and information in 23 states.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Big shoes to fill.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I thought it was big handcuffs to fill.

wicked and Tarheel316 like this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Prospective candidates are encouraged not to engage in pedophilia.

cjericho, HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  5. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

Actually, the new SE will not be replacing the currently jailed SE, but a a guy named Vince Peluso, who has done a great job with the paper since taking the position in the wake of Don McCormack's firing/indictment.

No, I am not Vince. But what a situation he had to step into two years ago.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Come on man, it was a joke. I didn't really figure the newspaper had gone two years without a sports editor.

7. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

I figured. I just wanted to give Vince P. some credit for a job well done. ... Plus, maybe not everyone is as familiar with the situation as you are, so they might like to know they aren't replacing Don. Remember, if you can avoid it, you don't want to be the guy who places The Guy (who was a sexual predator). Much easier to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced The Guy (who was a sexual predator).

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I just had a reminder of Penn State.

Where's schottie, anyway?

10. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

That whole case was a mini-Penn State in more than a couple of ways.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Where's Shotty

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I missing his waving cat photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted