1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making 130 a Year and Living at Home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JC, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He wants experiences over possessions. A little nauseating but he's living the life.

Hey, big spender | Toronto Life

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If he wants experiences over possessions, have kids.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's nice how he includes his subsidizing parents in his escapades ... oh, wait.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This may have given BT Express a coronary.

JackReacher likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What a complete @sshole.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just another person who calibrates his happiness on the money he spends to acquire it and is incapable of enjoying all that life's simple pleasures bring. Not really a coronary-inducing article . . . just a 270-degree eye-roll one. :rolleyes:

Tweener likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I got the feeling the lead, as well as the whole article, was overdone for writing purposes.

If he's working five or six days a week as a pharmacist, there's no way he's going away for wild weekends all that often.

Sure, he could be living in his mom's home, socking away money, and having his mom do his laundry, etc. And if she's OK with that, it may not really mean too much -- yet.

When it will is if and when he can't live in his mom's home anymore, either because she doesn't want him to, or if she dies, or something. My guess is that's what's bothering people -- that he's just not appreciating enough the fact that his living in his mother's house is what is allowing him to do all that he's doing -- and still piling up money for himself.

Most people have to work in order to meet basic, daily satisfactory living needs. This guy simply is taking advantage of the fact that he is not -- and doesn't have to.

He's doing what a lot of people wish they could do, but that, realistically, they can't.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How someone spends his/her money is none of my business.
    If you want to make a decent income yet choose to live in a terrible apartment, take public transportation, etc., so that you can spend that income on travel and gourmet restaurants, great.
    If you want to have roommates so you can share rent and the cable bill, great.

Living with your parents and having your mother cook and clean for you when you are a grown man = childish and clueless
    His parents must feel ashamed.

Mr. Sunshine and doctorquant like this.
  9. WriteThinking

As someone who has had to make choices about how to spend what little money I have, and who has made what some might consider some dumb ones for the sake of travel and experiences, I understand and agree with this almost entirely. (I've haven't made more than $32,000 a year in 10 years, but I've been on four two-week cruises in the past few years).

What wasn't made clear in the article (that I saw/remember) was whether the writer contributes any rent money to his mother for home expenses/his upkeep. If he does -- particularly if it's a helpful amount -- that would make a difference for me, and I'd feel better about this.

Again, as someone who once did move in and live with my mom for some time while as I went through some financial struggles, but who still always paid her between $300 and $500 a month to stay there (the amount went up as my circumstances improved but still was a steal where I live; nevertheless, it was still something, at least, that I could afford and could contribute, and that I know actually helped my mom out a little bit, too. I couldn't have lived with myself if I didn't pay her something).

Sometimes, the parents could use the money involved, too, and they'd rather have family members renting and living with them than they would somebody who they don't know.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If you're an able adult and you're having your mom do your laundry, you're a douche.

Tweener and doctorquant like this.
  11. WriteThinking

I agree with this in principle. For me, there's another factor, though. Do you do laundry a lot? Or do you just throw a load or two in the machine every three weeks or so? Some people don't have much laundry, or they do it relatively infrequently.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Every three weeks? How does someone do laundry every three weeks.
    Seven days worth of clothes, towels, etc., is enough for a load of laundry.

Draft saved Draft deleted