1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank You Apple !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Got a nice unexpected windfall today. Had no idea but I'll take it.

[​IMG]
    "[​IMG]You now have a credit of $52.00 in your Amazon account. Apple, Inc. (Apple) funded this credit to settle antitrust lawsuits brought by State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs about the price of electronic books (eBooks). As a result of this Settlement, qualifying eBook purchases from any retailer are eligible for a credit. You previously received an email informing you that you were eligible for this credit. The Court in charge of these cases has now approved the Apple Settlement."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got 189 bucks. Was floored. More stunning is I still have 130 of it an hour after getting that email.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Did it come in the mail? Or e-mail?

4. Earthman

E mail.
    It's a real windfall for Amazon. Instant sales increase. And now they charge well over the contested $9.99 for most of the best sellers.

5. Earthman

The basics of settlement:
    Customers will receive $6.93 for every ebook that was a New York Times bestseller and $1.57 for every other ebook. Qualifying ebooks must have been purchased between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012 and be from one of the following pubslihers: Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan (Holtzbrinck Publishers), Penguin Group and Simon & Schuster.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You don't actually get money back? Just store coupons?

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Shows how much of an ebook hound I am; I got $1.57.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I got 32.05. Not too shabby. Got to get on my Kindle Fire and start shopping.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In the same ballpark, last week I got a check for $10 and change from the Vibram 5-finger shoes class-action settlement.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Me too!

11. Earthman

You could have gotten a check. It's been a while but as I recall somewhere along in
    the class action process you had to designate how you wanted the refund. I did not anticipate that I would stop reading so it was a no brainer to designate credit to my Kindle account

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I mean, if people want the store credits, that's fine. I just think it would be crappy if that was all they had to offer as a settlement.

Draft saved Draft deleted