1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Star Trek's latest Chekov, Anton Yelchin, 27

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 19, 2016.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ah man. I liked his role as Chekov. This sucks.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Didn't know anything about him other than he was really good in the Trek flicks.

What a horrific accident.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He did a good job in the Abramsverse Trek pics, but Chekov wasn't a crucial character to the ongoing storyline; I suppose they'll write his death into ST4, assuming they make it.

Which I presume they will, unless "Beyond" is an absolute bomb.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He was very good in his role as the kidnap victim in Alpha Dog.

old_tony and Songbird like this.
  6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I first noticed him as Hank Azaria's son in "Huff", about 10 years ago. He was only a teenager but had serious chops.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Man, what a terrible way to go.

Something similar happened to the elderly mother of a high school basketball coach we covered at one of my old shops. She got out of her car to check the mail at the end of a sloped driveway and didn't put it all the way in park and it rolled over her and killed her.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Was great in Charlie Bartlett and as Chekov. Terrible accident.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Alpha Dog, Charlie Bartlett and Hearts in Atlantis. He delivered some of the greatest child actor performances ever.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I liked him and thought he was a pretty good actor. Not a star, but brought something to every role I saw him play. RIP.

That said, I imagine they'll just recast Chekov, assuming they make an ST4. It would be odd to give him an offscreen death. He's not the first, certainly not the best, Chekov. He's not irreplaceable, as cold as that sounds.

Sad story.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Probably not. Unless something else comes out, this seems like your ordinary "when-everyday-stuff-goes-horribly-wrong" BS.

This is absolutely no consolation but at least he went out with Green Room: a really good film and an indie hit of sorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted