1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podcasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2016.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Another vote for "This American Life". Had a bunch of these backed up on the iPod and listened to at least 4 on the latest driving business trip. Never know quite what to expect but always interesting.

2. dprince57

dprince57 Member

Hardcore History is terrific. You Are Not So Smart is a good one. War College is too if you are interested in that sort of thing.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

My non-rasslin podcasts:

How Did This Get Made?
    Comedians make fun of shitty movies. Stuff like the He-Man movie to early 2000s Jennifer Lopez soft-core erotica thrillers. Nothing older than the late 1970s.

We Hate Movies
    Three NYC low-level comedians drink beer while talking about shitty movies. The jokes veer far, far from the movie of discussion the longer the show goes and the drunker they get. Lots of jokes about Christopher Lambert recently. Really weird.

Nerdist
    Interviews with mostly geek culture people, movie stars, musicians. Occasionally really good ones with guys like Gary Oldman.

Now Playing Podcast
    Again, movies, but these are serious reviews. Lots of series from genre movies, older stuff and new releases. Lot of week-of releases, like Conjuring 2 from last weekend.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I like Bullseye with Jesse Thorn. I think he's a really good interviewer.

And I also enjoy Only a Game, though, as it's been mentioned on another thread, the presence of Charlie Pierce is a turn-off for some.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a problem with my podcasts. Just recently, everything started playing twice. It will sound fine for about three seconds and will then start playing again. Anyone have any issues with this?

6. three_bags_full

Damn. After two days I finally figured it out. It was an airplay issue. Carry on. Listening to War College now.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

A bunch of the podcasts I listen to are true crime/mystery podcasts: Thinking Sideways (my fav), The Vanished Podcast, True Murder: The Most Shocking Killers in True Crime History, Unknown History with Giles Milton.

If you're into Gilmore Girls, the Gilmore Guys podcast is great. Star Wars Minute, if you're REALLY into Star Wars (they literally break down every movie, minute by minute). For fans of Serial: Undisclosed: The State vs. Adnan Syed.

But Thinking Sideways has been going for awhile, has some interesting subjects (the most recent one that popped up was on Andy Kaufman) and is well-researched.

8. three_bags_full

Fivethirtyeight Elections is pretty good

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

These sound interesting. I'm going try some in coming weeks.

I'm hit or miss on 'Nerdist' and Hardwick in general.
    For example the Jodie Foster episode was really good.
    The Violent Femmes episode was terrible. Hardwick tried to come off as if he was some big fan in his youth, but it seemed clear that 'Blister in the Sun' was the extent of his knowledge about the band's material.
    I just listened toa Reggie Watts episode that was at times quite funny and other times incredibly annoying

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Nerdist is really hit or miss for me, and it tends to be more "miss" the more co-hosts and less guests there are. Can't stand the host-only shows. I thought the Chuck Lorre and Mayim Bialik show was really good though.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

BBC Deset island discs is all you need for a while.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Moddy,

My favorite by far is WTF with Marc Maron. He does great interviews. His depth of knowledge on a variety of topics is pretty impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted