1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buying North Jersey Media Group?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jun 16, 2016.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Where does the Record print. Can Gannett move the printing operation to one of thier exisiting plants and sell the real estate assets?

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I believe the Bergen Record prints a couple of counties over in New Jersey, and there are other unrelated publications coming out of there too. Since the Gannett New Jersey papers' publication has been outsourced, maybe that'll allow them to come back in house?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So Gannett basically will own every paper of consequence in Jersey other than the Trenton papers and the Star-Ledger.

That'll be great for the business.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Brutal news. The Record is imperfect but did good stuff with less. It still looks like a newspaper. Now it'll do worse stuff with a lot less.

The Trentonian is The Trentonian and the Star Ledger has turned into an SEO clickbait junk site. Bad state of journalism in Jersey.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the employees that found out from a New York Post story, not from the family, or even from a memo.

Spnited and Frank Ridgeway are missed today.

7. LanceyHoward

The Record has been owned by the same family since 1930. I would assume all design is currently done in-house and will be farmed to somewhere in the Gannett bureaucracy. Does Gannett maintain separate editorial staffs for their other papers in the area or is the product essentially a combined paper producing zoned editions under separate mastheads?

And what does the acronym SEO stand for (I think I will feel like an idiot when I receive an answer).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Something Entirely Obsolete, according to those who seem to be ahead of the curve.

Which is why, of course, newspapers are still chasing Search Engine Optimization.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't know if I need to start a new thread on this but I need some advice. A very very good friend of mine who is one of those people who plans everything is looking ahead to when this happens. She wants some advice on legalities regarding the new company, in this case Gannett, possibly getting rid of employees after the sale. She wants to cover all bases and wonders what she should do to prepare for a possible age discrimination suit if she is replaced by the new owners. She wants to know if she should be upfront and ask the new people if she can tape any meetings so she can give the tapes to her attorney in case of an age discrimination firing, or if she should merely secretly tape any meetings in case she has to go to trial for age discrimination. She has 2 kids she's still raising alone and needs to work 10 more years and wants to cover all bases for any attorney she might hire just in case the new owners force her out. It's probably not a bad idea for more people to sue. I've heard companies are sloppy when they come in and age discrimination lawsuits can be won if you are let go just because they want to get rid of you for being old. Anyhow is there anything employees can do in advance of being fired or having their pay cut substantially after Gannett takes over if that is what they decide to do? Can you secretly record meetings? Is it a good idea to ask if you can record the meeting? What are the Ps and Qs to preparing yourself for a lawsuit if you are not satisfied with the way the new owners replace you? Pardon me if I didn't explain this correctly. I'm a little stunned I've been asked to give counsel.
    I know a lot of you despise Fredrick but if you have a family member who is an attorney and can ask about age discrimination layoffs I'd appreciate it.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Your friend should consult with an employment lawyer in her area. Someone who could be her lawyer in any potential lawsuit down the line.

Most lawyers aren't in the habit of giving legal advice over a message board.

11. LanceyHoward

I would check with a local lawyer about the legality of secretly taping meetings. Laws vary by jurisdiction.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I don't despise Fredrick. Just because I may disagree with someone (and I think my disagreement rate with Fredrick is only about 50/50, by the way) isn't a reason to dislike him/her.

Can't really add much to the previous posts except that I believe that in my state, you have to disclose that a meeting is being taped (although I know of no prohibition against, say, taking detailed notes).

I also think it's a good idea to consult with a labor lawyer not just in your friend's situation, but in any case of a buyout or layoff, just to be sure the employer isn't trying to pull a fast one. I met with a lawyer who reviewed the buyout agreement when I left a previous employer and was glad I did -- the employer hadn't done anything wrong, but it was still good to have that peace of mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted