1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podcasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For a little variety on our long daily walks, I've been alternating between podcasts and music. I did the first season of Serial (loved it) and the second season (ugh). I'm enjoying the West Wing Weekly a lot. I listen to a lot of the SI podcasts (duh). The one Maggie Gray did with Neil Leifer on Ali was fabulous.

My daughter-in-law recently told me to try My Brother My Brother and Me, said it was right up my crass alley. I've listened to a couple and she's right.

What are some other good ones and why? Just the names, please, don't need this to turn into page after page of YouTube or what not. I'm a dumbass but I know how to find a podcast.

We thank you in advance.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Comedy Bang Bang and How Did This Get Made?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I listen to Pete Holmes' 'You Made It Weird.' He's a comedian who usually interviews other comedians but occasionally has guests who are not comedians. They talk about comedy, sex and god.
    I occasionally listen to 'Nerdist,' depending on the guest.
    And, thanks to a recommendation here at SJ.com, I've become an avid listener of 'Sound Opinions,' which is an excellent music podcast.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I love This American Life. I added Israel Story a few months ago, which is a lot like This American Life, it's just that the stories originate with Israel/Israelis.

More Perfect - SCOTUS

Added Revisionist History today, on recommendation of a work friend

Hidden Brain - I have a huge crush on Shankar Vedantam (please don't ruin by sending me his picture)

The Moth

Radiolab

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I enjoy Bill Burr's twice-weekly podcasts.
    JJ Redick's podcasts are pretty interesting, too.

I'll let you know when my gambling podcast debuts.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You Must Remember This -- intersting secrets, tales and history of the first 100 years of Hollywood. I even am enthralled by ones I don't think I'll like (Judy Garland, some silent film actress I've never heard of). Great stuff.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't listened in a little while, but 'Hardcore History' is also good.

dprince57 likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

By the way, Fife, I assume you're using iTunes:

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of The Nerdist podcast. Focuses mostly on geek culture (obviously) and comedy, but they have had some great guests on there and it is always ends up being interesting conversation.

Also, as others have said above, Hardcore History and This American Life.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I really enjoy The Joe Rogan Experience. You'd think it'd be all about MMA or comedy, but he gets into some very deep discussions. Of course, he's high most of the time, so there's that. But interesting guests and interesting topics. Really knows how to get people to open up and tell fascinating stories.

Besides that one, all the other podcasts I listen to are specific to something I enjoy (Game of Thrones, Disney, etc.).

Thanks for some ideas, though. I'm looking to expand my podcast library because it's good background filler when I'm working out or sitting around.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Shameless plug - Two buddies and I host one, Your Parents Basement, which covers pre-2000s video games. It's mostly just a small side project for all of us: Your Parents Basement

I love listening to Planet Money and Freakonomics - both tend to cover off-beat and interesting economic subjects. I also like 99 Percent Invisible, which focuses on architecture, but usually on more pop culture or unique topics.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is pretty close to my lineup, but I add Wait Wait Don't Tell me, Selected Shorts (The New Yorker also has a good Short Story one) & I'm trying out the new Malcom Gladwell History one. Sometimes Freakonomics.
    If you're missing Serial, Reply All had a 4 part series recently that was a poor man's Serial.
    Start with Radio Lab. Nothing better.

Draft saved Draft deleted