1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at The Oklahoman?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rumors the desk is moving to Austin and the paper will be printed by the Tulsa World. Anybody heard anything?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Along with other manufacturing changes, a total of 65 full-time and 65 part-time positions will be eliminated."

That's a lot of people for just the press. I'm guessing the desk is gone too.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I assume the Austin part would be about GateHouse?

Fuck that company.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And of course, the deadlines just got earlier, too:

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Except most of the people still subscribing to the paper don't want to get their news that way. Is it that hard to figure out?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

GateHouse does not own the Oklahoman. But it does provide desk services in Austin to outside companies for a fee. GateHouse also whores out its presses in similar fashion.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's what I was referring to. Fuck GateHouse.

Bronco77 likes this.
  9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can confirm the copy desk and design move to the Austin Gatehouse shop. Sad to see this. Lots of friends in OKC.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Any newspaper that outsources copy-editing and design to GateHouse with the idea of saving money will discover that you get what you pay for.

wicked likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Oklahoman has to be the biggest paper being done out of Austin. I'd love to see reader feedback when they can't get a Thunder game into the section because it ran too late.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The Oklahoman "leadership team" crashed the newspaper into a bridge abutment, and now they're trying to get readers to believe that it was a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted