1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five cyclists killed in Kalamazoo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Starman justice is not enough for this murderer.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is the first impulse always blood thirst toward the perpetrator?

Five people were killed.

That makes me incredibly sad.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder if this was some angry guy zooming around looking to road rage on someone or a drunk.

Cycling, in many places, is incredibly dangerous. Almost all the well known cyclists in our area have been hit by cars at least once.

5. Dick Whitman

I want a bicycle really bad and to take it up as a supplement to running. But I just don't want to ride in the street. I have when cyclists are in the street, as a driver. There's not enough room for them.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not enough room and drivers get angry and an angry asshole in a car vs. bike is a road rage nightmare.

7. Inky_Wretch

Looking on Strava, it appears that stretch of Westnedge Ave is a really popular cycling route. Given it's near a park and the river trail, drivers should be used to seeing cyclists on it.

8. Dick Whitman

There's a stretch like that in Chicago. Milwaukee Avenue, I think. The Yuppie 500.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Pick your route carefully and you'll be fine.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Hipster Highway.

It's a fucking nightmare. But, at least on Milwaukee, the cyclists mostly observe traffic signals.

11. Dick Whitman

Corporate lawyers by day. Used book store poetry section perusers by night.

doctorquant and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I ride and even commute by bike and haven't had any serious problems (knock wood). But I'm VERY vigilant and choose routes carefully to avoid the busiest roads. The problem is that most cyclists obey the rules but drivers only remember the ones that didn't and now ALL cyclists are the enemy. It works the other way - most drivers have been courteous and careful around me but the ones that haven't are the ones you I remember most clearly.

dprince57, Ace and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted