1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stanford swimmer, the rape, and the letter the victim read in court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pretty sure there is a version of this thread somewhere but the update is worth it.

TL/DR version: Aspiring Stanford swimmer meets a girl a party, she gets wasted, he takes her away from the party and is caught by two graduate students bicycling by while he was raping her behind a dumpster.

He is convicted by a jury, but the judge decides he should not go to prison (six months in jail; probation) because of the harm it will do to him.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/sta...turner-sentenced.html?mid=facebook_thecutblog

What you should read, though, is the letter the victim read in court, which is stunning.

Here's The Powerful Letter The Stanford Victim Read To Her Attacker

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. I can only imagine the faces of Brock, the defense counsel, the judge, the probation officer, as she addressed them. But, dammit, I hope they emoted shame.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The faces of the defense counsel? It is their job to defend scumbags. If every shred of evidence was not handled exactly the way it was supposed to, their job is to show that and prevent their client from being found guilty. Of course, many times they know the scumbag they defend is guilty. But if they win, it is justice for them.

britwrit and Jake_Taylor like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Looking at the photo of the guy, I was thinking there was no way he would have survived a stint in a California state prison. No way. Even in county for 6 months they may need to keep him segregated.

I can understand her frustration. Just horrible.

5. Donny in his element

I don't begrudge them their jobs. I appreciate their role. Doesn't mean that from a human, empathetic level, I shouldn't be curious of their reaction. This had to be among the most well-written, narratively jarring victim statements to the court they've ever heard.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

None of them give a shit. The defense attorneys buy new houses defending rapists from rich families. This rapist has never fully given an unconditional apology here.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

OscarMadison, cjericho and heyabbott like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Go take a look at his Facebook page. I suppose it could be a troll, to be fair. Fucking horrible.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, and the judge went to Stanford.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whose?

10. Donny in his element

I assume Brock Turner for 2016 Olympics

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

To write that letter would be difficult enough. But to read it? Unbelievable courage.

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There is no other option than there to be zealous advocates for every defendant. Everybody who bitches about defense attorneys can screw.

JimmyHoward33 and RickStain like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted