1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atrocious fashion choices by decade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 3, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wife and I were talking about this the other day. It started with my contention that, in 20 years, skinny jeans will be properly remembered as an abomination.

I think we can all agree on the awfulness of the '70s and '80s, but we couldn't think of anything similar from the '90s. I mean, we had flannel and a few other things, but i can't remember anything even close to the embarrassment level of other generational fashion trends.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1972 ... I like Inga on the right, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

MisterCreosote likes this.
  4. Songbird

I wore these in 8th or 9th grade. I had a tight ass from soccer so it worked for me.

[​IMG]

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I had one of these bad boys in the '80s:

[​IMG]

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They aren't as flamboyant as the '70s and '80s, but '90s style is pretty ugly in its own right. On men, everything is about two sizes too big. The ties are ugly as sin, as well, with garish designs. Watch an early episode of "Friends" some time to get an idea. There was also a period where people wore ridiculous Loony Toons T-shirts, a high percentage of them purchased from street corner vendors.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Let's also not forget that one of the standard-bearers of male attractiveness of that era had hair that looked like this:

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I love skinny jeans. I wore the late 70s/early 80s version of skinny jeans (although I don't know why I wore leg warmers over those jeans). I remain hopeful high-waisted skinny jeans will make a comeback.

Dyno likes this.
  9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Shit, I was going to bring up frosted tips as I was definitely a victim of that trend in the 90s. In my defense, the girls at the time loved it.

At least I didn't have macaroni hair.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

70s fashion was just sooooo bad, in so many ways, with so many choices.

But one particular item stands out far above all the rest:

leisure 1.jpg leisure 2.jpg leisure 3.jpg

11. Songbird

It's the fallout from all those drugs in the late '60s.

12. Songbird

The guy in the red abomination looks like he could be Matt McConaughey's dad.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted