1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your favorite day of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You can't pick Christmas.

Mine is the Indianapolis 500.

Go.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Valentine's Day

BDC99 likes this.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My birthday

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Used to be last day of school.

Now ... first day of NCAA basketball tournament.

5. Dick Whitman

What I love about race days, as well as college football games, is that you have about six hours of fun and food, and then you remember, "I still get to go watch something awesome. That part hasn't even started yet."

Batman and dixiehack like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm going to pick a weekend instead of just one day. The last weekend in March. Final Four, Opening night of baseball, Wrestlemania. All in three days.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's the awesome part? I thought you were at the Indy 500.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Next year I'm almost certain I'll be going to the race. First time. Was in Indiana with my folks this year and we took the little tour of the track, museum, etc. But a guy I became friends with in past year has been going for 40-plus years. Seats are on Turn 3; he says they're amazing seats. So I'm already counting down the days, not just for the race of course but everything else around it. I know nothing about racing, but looking forward to the spectacle.

For original question, it might actually be June 1. Was just thinking of this yesterday. To me it feels like the start of summer, like, okay, it's now three months of sun and fun. Anniversary and my birthday are in June. As a kid, June was when our town's carnival/festival was held and that was always the highlight of the summer. Magic and the Lakers were almost always playing first week of June. So it's more like June's my favorite month, I guess, but it starts with the first and it's when I start looking forward to things.

For days focused on events that I anticipate, Masters Sunday would be up there.

9. Dick Whitman

Is that a comment on auto racing generally or IndyCar racing?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just busting on you. Not an auto racing fan.

Though I did enjoy the Daytona 500 the one time I went that wasn't for work,. though.

11. Dick Whitman

I would recommend going native for the weekend. Go to carb day. Camp at the track for a couple nights. Etc.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The one I look forward to the most is the opening of college football season.

Worst day is two or three Sundays after that, when it is again clear Georgia's not winning anything of significance.

TyWebb and Ace like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted