1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you post your kids' grades on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people that do. It seems like an invasion of privacy to me. I do post some photos of mine, mostly because it's an easy place to keep photos organized into albums. But grades? I remember a time when you and your parents kept that shit to yourselves.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not the actual grades. If they received an academic honor or something I might post that.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yay, another DW post about Facebook. It's been a few months.

I have neither children nor Facebook, so no for me. But yeah, people post grades. And stuff way more personal from that, from what I understand.

All of FB seems like an invasion of privacy to me. But it's voluntary, so have at it if you want and unfollow if you don't. I'm just so intrigued with your fascination, as well as your seemingly constant surprise over what you find there. You're like a kid at Disney.

4. Dick Whitman

Uh ... sorry?

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

don't have fb, but agree with this. if there's an honor roll certificate, why not post that.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#neanderthal

7. Mr. Sunshine

Facebook should be reserved for posting pictures of food your children made for the family pet.

Huggy, OscarMadison, HC and 1 other person like this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I limited it to end-of-year awards and graduations. As a rule of thumb, if it was deemed sufficiently important for me to put on a suit and show up for a ceremony, I figured it was worth posting a photo -- mostly so out-of-town friends and relatives could share in the experience. Honor roll certificates didn't make the cut.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But I do have twitter. On the zoo thread, there was talk about fb being a cesspool with angry, hateful people. So why would anyone want to be a part of that. Although those who think that, most likely have fb.

10. Mr. Sunshine

FB is filled with all kinds of people, including people on Facebook who like to complain about people on Facebook. I find Twitter to be worse.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We have extended family across the country, so I'm of like mind here. I will admit, however, that this past year I fell into a pattern of way over-sharing (in my estimation) w.r.t. the accomplishments of younger DaughterQuant (YDQ), who with the older ones off at college was the only game in town. Part of it was that YDQ had so much going on and so much of that went well, but I think also there is lurking within me the cold realization that this phase of my life is racing toward its conclusion.

Given this realization, after last week's awards ceremony I chose to post just one picture of YDQ holding up all her shit (and if anyone wants the details, rest assured I'd be more than happy to provide!) with a lighthearted caption. This was in marked contrast to the post from one mom (of twins) in YDQ's circle, who posted individual snaps of each certificate.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

I think I'm more thinking along the lines of people who post the actual report card of kids in elementary school, typically. Every single detail. It seems like it would be strange, for example, for me to post my son's standardized test scores, and I rarely see that. (Though not never.)

Draft saved Draft deleted