1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to keep moving forward

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NotMikeLupica, May 25, 2016.

1. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

Short story. I graduated college on Saturday, interviewed for a weekly newspaper reporter position on Monday, and got the job today. I'm totally satisfied with the job, because now I have my foot in the door. The salary is very low--obviously, but it's still a job in journalism.

I know I am lucky to have this job, but I have one question: What can I do inside and outside of work to stand out to bigger outlets? I don't want to be here my entire life; some people here have been working in the same office for 25 years. I don't want that to be me.

Thanks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe be more like Mike Lupica?

Songbird likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but Jesus Christ, You just started. Hit the ground running at your very first gig and worry about right now for a while.

Run through some walls for your readers. And have some fun.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, don't be in such a hurry to move on that you neglect this job. Give yourself time to learn to do the job well. Work hard on the reporting part. Don't try to just dazzle with your writing.

Always be looking for great stories, news or projects. Don't settle for game stories, advances and features.

Work hard ar networking. Introduce yourself to other reporters and pick their brains. Find a mentor if you can.

If you can, go to APSE meetings, seminars and such and get your name out there.

Songbird likes this.
  5. Songbird

I was SE at a weekly. It's difficult because you have to learn how to manage and balance your time to cover enough things, and write about them, while leaving enough time to build your section, if you're responsible for that as well. I did it for 4 years. Took me about a year to figure it out. And listen to Ace.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Also, careful how you react to assholes on social media. There will be a lot.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  7. Songbird

Think twice before you hit send.

It could save your career.

Batman likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there really isn't a path of rising up the ranks anymore, especially from a weekly. Work hard and you can move to a small daily, and then maybe a mid-sized daily.

As for standing out, you need to go beyond gamers and features. What stories aren't being told?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You just described a path that you said doesn't exist.

Tweener likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

@ me next time, Ace.

YankeeFan and Ace like this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Read 10 words for every one you write.

exmediahack likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I described a path forward, but it's not much. Working at some suburban daily for $30K isn't much of a step up. I don't believe the OP's dream job is working at a suburban daily for peanuts, but unfortunately, that's the "big" outlet he/she could likely end up at.

Draft saved Draft deleted