1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC planning $2 million deer vasectomy program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 24, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They could just ship all those sex-crazed does to Wisconsin, and everybody's happy.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The deer may end up eating the bag of frozen peas.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Give me a few minutes to pack my bow and I'll hit the road.

Machine Head likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Venison Christmas at the homeless shelters > Old deer firing blanks

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was going to say something similar. Open it to bowhunters. They won't go blam-blamming around the woods shooting houses hundreds of yards away, and they can take a lot of deer. They have used them here on a state park that is in municipal Birmingham. The park was getting overbrowsed and neighboring houses were having their flowerbeds stripped. Put out a couple of hundred deer tags and give them a ten day season, let them take does too, problem controlled.

Of course, all the SJW's in New York will have a shitfit over killing Bambi. I don't know how you deal with that nonsense.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if there's a good way to make this happen, but being from Staten Island I don't think allowing deer hunting there is the answer. I do know that deer overpopulation is a huge issue around the area.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why, but the mental imagery of the deer swimming over from New Jersey to impregnate the does, and the program having the exact opposite effect that is intended, had us laughing.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

There are ways.

Sharpshooters and bow hunters. From the above link detailing the bow hunting plan in the Twin Cities a few years back:

Elite archers

However, many smaller parks also need deer control every few years. In some of those cases, the Metro Bowhunters Resource Base is called into action because they are skilled at taking deer in park spaces that may be near homes and roads.

It's a volunteer group of specially trained archers who have conducted hunts in nearly all of the metropolitan counties.

"Our mission is to control the deer populations in those more closely urban smaller areas," said Dan Christensen, who is on the group's board.

In the Three Rivers system, plans call for the bowhunters group to hunt in Lake Minnetonka Regional Park, Noerenberg Garden and Gale Woods Farm special recreation areas, Fish Lake Regional Park, Spring Lake Regional Park in Scott County, and along the district's regional trail corridors in Maple Grove and Brooklyn Park.

Most dates and other details have not been decided, pending discussions between park district managers, bowhunters and neighboring communities.

Christensen said the archers must provide proof of their competence annually and have taken a state certification course. During hunts, he said, they take special precautions.

"Typically we require that our hunters be in elevated stands so that arrows are always being directed to ground level," Christensen said. "We also require that all of our hunters only take shots at broadside standing deer within a 20-yard range radius, so we don't have people launching arrows that are going to be possibly bad hits."

The NYC plan reads like something from the Onion.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted