1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Morley Safer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 19, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a story yet, but they just announced it during an hourly radio news update.
    RIP to one of the mainstays of TV news journalism.

EDIT TO ADD: CBS has confirmed it on Twitter.

Morley Safer Dead: '60 Minutes' Veteran Was 84

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn. That was quick.

RIP to a legendary newsman, though.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That whole old-time crew on 60 Minutes was so good. Hard to pick a favorite. But each one brought something different, Wallace's abrasiveness, Bradley's coolness, Safer's toughness mixed with the joy, etc. Personally Morley probably was my favorite, for his stories and persona and even his voice, he just sounded like the perfect storyteller.

4. Steak Snabler

That leaves Diane Sawyer as the last of the classic 80s lineup. Wallace, Bradley, Reasoner, Rooney and now Safer are all dead.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

To me, Safer was by far the best of the 60 Minutes crew members and Wallace the most overrated.

Double Down likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Dan Rather Lives!

I thought something felt "off" about last week's announcement that Safer was retiring - his last segment airing in March. Glad he received a proper sendoff. Funny that Steve Kroft (the "young" guy for many years) is 70.

7. Steak Snabler

Rather left in 1981 to take over for Walter Cronkite. That was before Diane Sawyer came on full-time.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, coming up is "Murder, She Wrote"

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Same here.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember Andy Rooney doing a piece about smokers and calling Safer out.

Agree, his work was great. He had a boyish wonder to some stories even when he was, well, really old.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Safer and Bradley were my favorites hands down, and Safer's death, along with Bradley's, are the toughest for me personally. They were firm, fair, tough, and they always appear never to take themselves very seriously in every story. Both guys took delight in observing the people and the topics they were covering, and were phenomenal story tellers.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Except on the west coast where it will be seen at its regular time.

JC, HanSenSE, D-3 Fan and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted