1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do teen-age and young men listen to nowadays?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, May 19, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this, having been exploring some new rock acts in recent weeks. There's some good stuff out there. None of it ever seems to hit the mainstream. "Rock 'n' roll is dead." Etc.

Some of you probably have teen-age boys or 20-somethings. What the hell do they listen to? Bro country? Rap?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son will be 33 in July so he's probably out of the range you're seeking - but he listens to EVERYTHING and then some, as do all his friends. Current rock, classic rock, bro country, classic country, rap. You name it. He throws his playlist on, there's no telling what you'll get.

I've been to Foo Fighters with him three times and Rise Against once. We've also gone to see The Time Jumpers (Vince Gill and some Nashville studio artists who are excellent) and Asleep at the Wheel. Going to see AATW again in October. He's been to countless country shows and is going to see RDGLDGRN twice in June.

If it is music, he digs it and I get the sense that's the same for a lot of the younger set. Which is a good thing.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

They don't listen to their mothers. You can ask my wife.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Their dicks.

forever_town likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I have two teens, one 15 and one 19. Mumford and Sons. Twenty-one Pilots. Coldplay is big with my sons, too. The 1975 is one my son's friends listen to. I've never heard of them, though.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The pink-haired player on my softball team is into Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco etc etc.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've only had a teenager (thank God AP dropped the hyphen long ago) for two months, so I don't think he's a representative sample. Pentatonix is his favorite, but mostly he just wants it left on the Top 40 station in the car. Meh.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Mumford and Sons is big with teens around here (they had a huge concert nearby a couple of years ago that shut down an entire town for a weekend, and I mean that literally). Sam Smith seems big now with the kids I talk to, and of course Taylor Swift is (a player on a team I cover skipped a game to go see a nearby concert). I live in a rural area (aka too much country music), and they tell me Carrie Underwood and Blake Shelton are popular names I recognize. I find most modern day teenage have very wide music tastes. It's funny when I ask kids about music they like, I never hear any rappers, but I see so many of the kids (including redneck softball players) rap all the time. Of course, they may not tell me because they think I don't know who'd they be talking about (and they'd be right), or they don't want the sports writer publicizing for their family to see that they like a guy who sings about getting high after "fucking that bitch" (or whatever rappers sing about).

I'm about Moddy's son's age, and I doubt I have 10 songs on my MP3 recorded after 1990. You can probably some up my tastes as oldies and classic rock genre. Lately it's been a lot of The Band... You Don't Know the Shape I'm In, Rag Mamma Rag, Unfaithful Servant, Up on Cripple Creek, etc.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boys 16 and 14. Green Day is their favorite. The 14-year-old is into Motley Crue right now. Neither has much interest in music from the last three years.

Music doesn't mean nearly what it did anyway. There's no such thing as shutting the door to your room and listening to a new album. It's more ambient noise.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think that rappers sing about that kind of stuff any more.

I fell into that rut, too. But finally I was like, "How many times can I really listen to 'Exile on Main Street' and 'Nevermind,' rinse, repeat, in a given week?"

I've discovered some pretty good bands lately, just picking up some of the music mags at Barnes & Noble. There's a band called the Broken Witt Rebels that plays some really bluesy but rocking stuff. A band called Mr. Boogie that is terrific and fast. And a country/Southern rock band named Black Stone Cherry that I'm enjoying, as well.

I was actually pretty surprised at how much good rock is being made right now. I mean, it's all pretty derivative. But at least it's not "Pearl" for the 30th time this year.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Any of you guys listen to Springsteen?

EStreetJoe and JackReacher like this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What is... teenage and young women bitching at them?

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted