1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New OT law and the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think most staff had been eligible. It's any low-paid managers and senior reporters/columnists who are newly eligible.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know that legal eligibility has ever been the main problem in journalists getting paid overtime. And I assume the management browbeating will continue, as will the capitulation from workers.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

According to many of the higher-ups in my early career, putting in for overtime is one of the first signs of lack of dedication to the calling of journalism.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

A few months ago, I spoke to a manager about a raise. I mentioned I put in close to 20 hours of unpaid overtime a week because I am a salaried manager. I was told that working overtime is just expected of managers. I wonder how quickly he will rescind that expectation.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, when you're salaried, you don't get overtime. That's just the way it works. It's not even an option, so in theory it wasn't "unpaid."

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Isn't part of your agreement weekly hours?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. All the hours required, I assume.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except that legally, in most cases, you're supposed to be paid. My position used to be salaried without overtime. One class action lawsuit later, I'm hourly with overtime.

10. ejyankee

ejyankee New Member

I'm not sure how many people in my company would have to reduce work or make more, but I know two in my department.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have no experience, as Herald was a union shop. Except for working holidays, sports didn't get OT. Did get comp time, which when all the teams were winning could really add up.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wasn't even taking into consideration the new threshold on the OT law when I posted this. Brain fart. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted