1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got no sympathy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 17, 2016.

1. I have NO sympathy for Kawakami here. He called them out in public, and made a bet. He lost and had to pay off. How does the fact York held him to this make him a terrible person?

DON'T make a bet you can't pay off and then whine you get held to your word!

Batman likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get this at all. Not just the bet part, but the social ignorance of Kawakami. When you offer to buy someone dinner, YOU pick up the check. Not them. Period. It doesn't matter if the other guy is rich or not. If you don't like that, take him to Applebee's.

SFIND likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He should have called that shitbag Tommy Craggs and had him charge it to Gawker's corporate card. At any rate, yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the release of "Top Gun," so Tim I would like to remind you that your ego is writing checks you're body can't cash. What did he think would happen? That York would instead flip it around on the guy who had called him a rich jerk and treat Tim to lunch at a really expensive restaurant? Pretty naive.

SFIND likes this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tweener likes this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't know why Gawker would be in the business of covering meals for other companies' employees, but sure, why not?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Also, all he had to do was say: "French Laundry? Sportswriters can't afford that. How about Chang's?"

studthug12 and Batman like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Exhibit 1076 of why 99.99% of writers outside New York are provincial clods. Stupid is as stupid does.

cjericho likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Buy the dinner and either write a column about it making fun of yourself or see if you write a longer piece poking fun at yourself for one of the many, many food and restaurant mags, at least earning some of the money back. But don't whine.

Batman likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That also makes it a business write-off. Which this also could have been, which makes complaining about it even more unseemly.

Draft saved Draft deleted