1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Packers reporter, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cake in the rain, May 15, 2016.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Reporter, Sports-Packers - Green Bay Press-Gazette

Wonder if anyone can shed any more light on this one.

From what I understand, one of the Green Bay reporters left for the official team site, creating this opening. Green Bay also provides content for the many Gannett papers in Wisconsin.

Here's what I'm unclear on: There are, I think, three reporters covering the Packers for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, which recently joined the Gannett family. Although I've read some wishful thinking about the Journal-Sentinel maintaining its independence, we all know that won't happen. Gannett has ruined far better papers than the Journal-Sentinel and the JS will eventually be made to conform to the corporate template.

Given that, are they really planning to have 5 reporters covering the Packers -- three from the old JS beat and two from Green Bay/old Gannett consortium? I know there's tremendous interest in the Packers, but that seems hard to believe. Something's got to give.

2. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Suggest you tread very, very carefully on this one. When Gannett purchased all the Wisconsin papers years ago a lot of promises were made, and it took a little while but in the end the coverage converged and all those promises got thrown out the window. A lot of hard-working people ... well, it's Gannett, you already know what happened to them.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

At least Gannett isn't Lee Enterprises.

4. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I've said it before: Gannett is worse than Lee. At least Lee's powers that be MEAN WELL (aside ftom Mary Junck). Gannett is the industry-leader in heartless, penny-pinching maniacs...

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted