1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it had been Yankee Stadium or Lambeau Field ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, May 15, 2016.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Was watching the EPL soccer finale this morning and following the bomb scare and evacuation of Old Trafford that forced the postponement of the Manchester United match.

And it made me wonder ... had it been Yankee Stadium or Lambeau Field, how different would the coverage been compared to the very reserved approach I saw on NBCsn?

What do you think?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, you wonder if news coverage of an event would have been greater, in America, if the event had taken place in America?

Huh. Let me ponder this for a moment.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Panic in the streets of (Green Bay/Bronx)! Sky falling down! Trump to build wall around new stadium! Bernie to tax rich and make bleachers free! Hillary checking her email! Bill giving aid and comfort to the cheerleaders! Blame ISIS transsexual using wrong restroom! Repeat for next 48 hours!

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Right about now we'd be listening to people tell us it was a good thing it happened in New York City, the only city in the world with the strength and resilience to come together in the face of adversity.

Tomorrow the arguments would begin over the proper memorial to the cancelled game.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

If it happened in the States there's no way the fans would match this scene

Check out @utdreport's Tweet:

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Smoked Turkey for everyone!

8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I think PMSNBC would have preempted their Lockup marathon and brought in Brian Williams
    from his day off to anchor coverage. " If you have just joined us, your looking at live video of ..............

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think evacuating Yankee Stadium these days would happen a lot faster than it used to.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The urgency tampered down rather quickly after they found it was a prop from a training exercise. But I wouldn't call it a non-event here. If not for Rougie and Bautista it would've been a top subject on the overnight sports talk shows. It was mentioned.

By the way, in the UK and Europe, Old Trafford is Yankee Stadium, Lambeau, MSG and Pauley Pavilion all rolled into one. It's hallowed ground.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted