1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram Sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jessiehnunery, May 11, 2016.

1. jessiehnunery

jessiehnunery New Member

The Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram, an award-winning daily, seeks a talented, versatile sports journalist for its sports staff.

The successful candidate will be able to break news, write compelling features, copy edit and design.

The person we hire will be detail-oriented and ambitious with a commitment to accuracy. Must be able to work efficiently on deadline.

We cover 10 area high schools, a local Division III college and occasionally the Atlantic Coast Conference, specifically Duke, North Carolina and North Carolina State.

Experience with multimedia is necessary, and experience with Adobe InDesign is a plus. Candidates must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution, as well as a rock-solid understanding of grammar and AP style.

The successful candidate will prioritize Web-first publishing.

Recent alumni currently work at USA Today, The Raleigh News and Observer, Charlotte Magazine, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette,Scout.com and the Toledo Blade, among others.

If interested, send an email with “sports writer opening” as the subject, as well as your resume, cover letter and up to five clips to Sports Editor Jessie H. Nunery at jhnunery@rmtelegram.com.

2. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

I'm the other writer currently on staff, so feel free to email me with questions as well. jwalfish@rmtelegram.com

3. wfl

wfl New Member

And I'm the person leaving at the end of next week. fosterlander at gmail with questions.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Where are you headed, wfl?

5. wfl

wfl New Member

Leaving the business to work as a copywriter for a digital marketing agency in Raleigh.

6. SportyGirl

SportyGirl New Member

Good luck. As a freelancer, I find myself making far more money writing content marketing copy than I do from my editorial assignments.

7. wfl

wfl New Member

Thanks. Don't know how much that says but it's certainly true.

Don't want to speak for Jessie, but for those who have applied, believe he's going to begin setting up interviews with candidates next week.

8. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

Echoing what WFL said, we are no longer accepting resumes and will be meeting today to narrow down our list for interviews.

Draft saved Draft deleted