1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw somewhere the Times was keeping a few Trib people - any idea who in sports got kept?

This sucks 1,000 ways to Sunday (or whatever the cliche is, I'm off my cliche game). This business is such a bitch.

2. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I don't know a soul at either paper, but that doesn't keep me from feeling awful for the people who are losing their jobs — or angry about the ham-fisted way it appears to be taking place. Really, would it be that difficult or cost that much to handle this with a little dignity?

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Yep.

4. reformedhack

No announcements yet. Probably not for a few days, or at least until HR can get those who didn't survive squared away.

I don't want to speculate on names, but I don't see more than two, maybe three, from sports being kept on.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely deplorable. At least we got to put out a final edition and our people on the road -- our Avalanche writer and a photographer and the Cowboy at spring training -- were brought home.

Obviously, I've been there. And it still hits you like a 2-by-4 even if you know it could come at some point. Best wishes to everyone down there and if anyone down there on the "winning" side is dancing on the tombstone, f-you.

There are no winners in this. None.

6. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

I've had the dubious distinction now of being laid off from the Tribune sports desk in after 27 1/2 years in June 2015, returning as a TBO.com news producer in December 2015, and now seeing my job in limbo and perhaps gone in May 2016. Talk about a bumpy ride. Many good people had their lives jolted today, and I feel for them. I know they all will rebound and find jobs, whether it be at the Times, another news outlet or outside the business altogether. They are hard-working, earnest people, with a passion for journalism -- and who worked under a cloud for the last few years. A guy on this board pronounced us dead in 2009; I guess his prediction finally came true. An interesting note for me. I have my own website where I provided links to my sports blog on TBO.com (I reviewed sports books & sports cards), but now, all those links are dead. Poof, they are gone. The good news is that I kept hard copies of the stories.

Anyway, RIP Tribune.

reformedhack likes this.
  7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

EE tweeted that his flight home is secure.

8. reformedhack

That's good news. And pretty damn sad that it's the only piece of good news coming out of this day.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

10. reformedhack

Late breaking news: Offers apparently have been made this evening to some Tribune staffers. Aware of one name from news, who announced his move via Facebook; no names from sports yet.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Guessing they're not desk folk but "talent". Who needs editers anyway.

12. reformedhack

As much as I hate to say it, BDC99, I don't know that the Times is interested in bringing any deskers over, considering the massive desk purge it held a couple of years ago. Sure hope I'm wrong, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted