1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Times buys Tampa Trib

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, May 3, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

News release on TBT Twitter and Romenesko
    Wow

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow indeed. Officially the end of an era, though it had been on its deathbed for a while. Really enjoyed being in the middle of that rivalry for a while.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

As former Highlands Today staffer, I was on the outside of the rivalry, but it's a sad day in Tampa for a lot of good people.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Three words come to mind. HEADS WILL ROLL!!!!!

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Times has been on its own deathbead recently, so hope this strengthens both in the long run.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Some in the building expected this news to break yesterday.
    I expect the Times to grab Fennelly and maybe a pro writer. Times still has the pro sports writer opening ... and technically the sports editor opening. Can't imagine this is good news for copy desks or assignment editors.
    Not surprised at which side won.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I am stunned.

Reaction to follow.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Sad day for Florida journalism. It was a heck of a battle back in the day.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Me too. Having worked for both and having had many family and friends on both sides, this is a strange feeling. And since I am currently on the side of the "losers" (thanks for that!), it's kind of a sick feeling.

reformedhack likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good luck to you, BDC.

BDC99 likes this.
  12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I clicked "like" on your post. Obviously, I don't like it but there's no dislike button. (You know what I mean.)

I'm devastated, even though I've been gone 16 years. Working there helped me become who I am, professionally.

I'm also a little bit galled that the Tribune doesn't even get the courtesy of a final edition.

I'm also worried for my friends and former colleagues — some of them actual family, some of them who are like family — who worked there until two hours ago.

I'm gutted that 120-plus years of history are just that — history.

I'm mightily pissed that the owner, Revolution Capital, which promised it was in it "for the long haul," decided that 3 years equals a long haul.

I'm still processing the news. This is a dark, dark day in Tampa.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted