1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where we're headed ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, May 2, 2016.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I was looking at a couple of articles today on Delino DeShields and noticed some really sad facts.

First, this article here is full of spelling and grammatical errors:

Upon further review, Delino DeShields was picked off by Astros' Chris Devenski

Second, this article is written by a kid in high school similar to another high school kid that writes for True Blue (Dodgers website).

Where Will Delino DeShields Go When Choo Is Back?

So, my question is, is this the basic kind of shit we can expect from sports journalists the next 20-30 years? Unbelievable what a joke this shit is.

JR119 likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The other half of that question, who's going to fix it? I'm finding spelling errors more and more often in major outlets' stories; never mind the throw-sh*t-at-the-wall websites.

JR119 likes this.
  3. JR119

JR119 Member

I wouldn't even call them journalists. I can't. Unfortunately, it's what a majority of this business has become.
    Most bosses don't care about errors. They want clicks. The faster the story is posted, the better.
    At my past shop, I cleaned up such errors for a majority of my shift, but the higher-ups didn't see that as a plus for our overall goal.
    When I look at content now, I mostly see an over-emphasized headline, one or two graphs about the subject but with holes (no day, no site, no stats or wrong stats, etc. ...) and then links to other websites that also didn't thoroughly research.
    It's a joke and a sad, sad statement of where we are today.
    Even though I'm recently unemployed, I'm glad I don't work at such a place.
    - 30 -

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Many of these bosses appear to be clueless about the benefits of Ad Blocker.
    If I don't want to see your shitty ad on my screen (and I don't), then you'll be getting a few pennies fewer of Goodle AdSense revenue than you arrogantly expect.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

For more perspective on where we're headed in the newspaper world, check out the first post on the "Editers? Who need 'em?" thread.

May not be long before newspaper sports sections and websites sink to the level of the fanboy content Doc linked to. It's already happening in the paper I read on a regular basis, which has de-emphasized copy editing.

JR119 likes this.
  6. CAsportshack

CAsportshack Member

Gotta make the heads SEO friendly, JR. Need the stories on page 1 of the Google searches. Sarcasm is the intent from my words.

studthug12, SFIND and JR119 like this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Brief sidetrack: Is it true there are some websites that won't let you look if you're using AdBlocker? I'm told CNN and others make you shut down AdBlocker to view their content.

I know, as a journalist, I should be anti-AdBlocker, but the annoying ways they're jamming ads into every nook and cranny of online editorial content is ramping up the intrusiveness to crazy levels.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I use Adblock plus and have CNN set as my home page; haven't noticed a problem reading. I have the opposite problem with the damn news videos, which I don't want to watch. I turned off the plugins so they don't start automatically.

JR119 likes this.
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Since the first guy works for a newspaper, probably

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I looked at today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel while waiting in a doctor's office waiting room. The entire paper has seven ads, none of them big at all. The business is doomed.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Forbes is one.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes this is where we are headed. Very very embarrassing that high schoolers will be covering games for national newspapers and Websites. See, newspapers do not want to pay ANYBODY for writing. The higher ups have always devalued WRITING and EDITING and it's getting to the point unpaid interns will be writing the stories. Hopefully the MLB and college teams will refuse to allow unqualified fan reporters access. This is beyond belief.

JR119 and Doc Holliday like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted