1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian naturopathic parents guilty in son's death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 1, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

'Heaven help us all:' Father convicted in son's meningitis death condemns 'dangerous precedent' for parents

The kid had meningitis and only a doctor could save him.
    But the parents tried to use some sort of alternative treatment and it didn't work.
    The father argued that there was no guarantee that the outcome would have been any different with timely medical treatment and if the kid died under a doctor's care, the doctor would not have been held accountable, but should have been.
    I know a lot of people who think alternative cancer treatments are more effective than chemo and that vaxines are bad.
    They're idiots.
    There's no way someone who spends hours looking at Youtube videos can know more than someone who has spent eight years in school to become a doctor.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This is pretty much a local story where I live.

The parents are nuts and the father in law had a bunch of run ins with Health Canada over his business which imports a naturopathic remedy but has no scientific basis for the claim.

No winners in this story as I have no doubt the parents loved their kid but he also needlessly suffered because he had the misfortune to be borne to fucking idiots.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

4. Smallpotatoes

Why is it whenever I see a picture of them I can't help but think of the Settlers from the Direct TV ads?

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There are a few people here who believe in naturopathic nonsense. I'd bet a dollar a leadt one poster has bought an ionized bracelet.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In some ways, doctors operate by trial and error and wing it. If it works, great. For example, they tell you to take cholesteral-lowring drugs at night.

I asked my doctor why.

"I don't know. It seems to work better," he said.

So doctors don't have all the answers, and sometimes there are reasonable alternatives to explore.

Meningitis is not one of those times.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You wouldn't think so, but . . .

15 years ago my grandmother was hospitalized. You-Tube watching cousin said, "We think it's her gall bladder."

Doctor said, "Looks like it's a heart problem."

Days pass. Condition doesn't improve. Cousin asks, "Have you checked her gall bladder?"

"It's her heart," doctor says.

A few days later she died. From a ruptured gall bladder.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

YouTube launched in 2005.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"ER"-watching or Gray's Anatomy-reading cousin.

I stand corrected.

10. Smallpotatoes

He knew what he was doing, however, which I guess, was your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted