1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DEPUTY SPORTS PLANNING EDITOR & MULTI-MEDIA SPORTS REPORTER - Any info?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by H-Dale08, Apr 26, 2016.

1. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

Saw this job while browsing Indeed yesterday. It's not on J-Jobs. Anybody have any info on Cox? I assume this is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution but I have no idea because it's really vague.

Any insights?

Deputy Sports Planning Editor & Multi-Media Sports Reporter Description at Cox Media Group

Location Atlanta, GeorgiaJob Number 166207Brand CMG Corporate Services
    DescriptionCox Media Group, in conjunction with Newspaper Innovation, is seeking a Deputy Sports Planning Editor and Multi-Media Sports Reporter to Person will be responsible planning and editing related content that drives audience growth on social media platforms. This person will supervise a team of reporters, and have decision-making authority on when stories are posted. This person will also do team reporting, as well as possibly some recruiting reporting.

Position will be located in Atlanta

JOB DUTIES:

75 percent or more as a Deputy Sports Planning Editor, organizing for a team of writers while also curating published material and managing all social distribution channels serving recruiting and football fans for those teams.

25 percent as a recruiting and team reporter, covering football and basketball of colleges and high schools, as well as blogging about recruiting.

JOB TASKS
    • Writer/blogger should be able to recognize breaking news and trends related to recruiting and team coverage and originate ideas for content
    • Report and write with a strong sense of urgency, energy and tenacity
    • Engages and embraces the community through frequent posts online, pieces in print and appearances in other media
    • Write clearly and authoritatively, with sophistication, absolute accuracy and balance, all while doing it on deadline and in a variety of technology tools and social media platforms.
    • As a Deputy Sports Planning Editor, must understand what the fan audience needs and wants each day of the week and set concrete goals, outlines and objectives to direct staff members toward delivering that content to the audience in the best way possible.
    • Manages, approves and edits/rewrites content from outside sources
    • Measures and is accountable for page views and visit targets for content he or she has created
    • Set the daily budget and schedule content assignments
    • Communicate effectively with new writers on the implementation of new policies and procedures
    • Manage workflow and distribution/scheduling of content on social media
    • Produce smartphone photos and videos and collect data and other information for maps, charts and other supplemental content.
    • Manage time effectively, juggling long-term and short-term work. Consistently meets deadlines set for print and digital needs, including advance deadlines.
    • Collaborates effectively with others, along with communicate and work effectively with a team of sports journalists to give a complete picture of sports coverage
    • Must have reliable transportation, or access to it, and be able to travel within the state as assigned.

Qualifications
    Education: College degree preferred

Experience: 1-2 years of experience creating content for a business-to-consumer website preferred
    -Demonstrate strong news judgment

Additional Requirements: Established social media presence on various platforms.Interest particularly in Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Reddit, Vine, Google+. (Candidates should supply handles for verification)
    - Flexibility in shift starting times and in work location

Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America's leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.

The company's operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, 57 radio stations, eight daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services.

CMG currently operates in more than 30 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 32 million TV viewers, more than 4 million print and online newspaper readers, and 14 million radio listeners.

Cox offers and provides a top tier benefits package including health and dental, PTO, and 401(k) matching. We also offer a variety of employee training & development opportunities. We are looking to hire individuals who will help us accomplish our goals with Speed, Passion and Courage.

Cox Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Minorities/Veterans/Women/Disabled.

Organization:Cox Media Group
    Primary Location:US-GA-Atlanta-223 Perimeter Center Pkwy NE

Employee Status:Regular
    Job Level:Manager
    Shift:Day Job-
    Travel:No
    Schedule:Full-time

Unposting Date:Apr 30, 2016, 11:59:00 PM

2. Suggswriter

Suggswriter Member

Any word on where I can send my resume and clips (other than setting up an account on the Cox Media Group website)?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sounds like that's for their SEC Country web vertical and not the paper itself. Haven't lived in Georgia in years, so don't know how much crossover there is.

4. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

I'm a Midwesterner through and through so I know nothing about the SEC country vertical. Is it any good? Or is it mostly clickbait? What all do they cover?

I'm shopping around for some other potential opportunities and that one looked intriguing. It was just a little infuriating how many buzzwords (and how actual practical information) they put in these job listings.

5. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

Well I just googled it and answered my own question about "clickbait".... seems like a lot of content aggregation.

6. dixiehack

Yeah, I'm not about to cluck my tongue at anybody that wants to hire and pay journalists these days, but it's an awfully crowded field.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Who, dammit.

8. dixiehack

True. Corporations are people.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a weird job description. Seems much more like a blogger, aggregator than a Deputy Sports Planning Editor. Not much experience required/preferred for a manager.

Not that any of that is necessarily a bad thing.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Or it's a job ad tailored to someone there who wants to work part-time.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Like 40-50 hours a week?

12. FSportsFitzgerald

FSportsFitzgerald New Member

Just guessing but maybe they want to follow the Scout/Rivals/247 model and have a site for each team with the "deputy editor" being the person who heads coverage for each team then has some people (I'd imagine part-timers?) working under him/her.

Draft saved Draft deleted