1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Running feature stories submitted by SIDs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillySixty, Apr 24, 2016.

?

Would you run a feature story submitted by a college's media relations department?

1. Yes, both from schools both inside and outside of our coverage area (for local grads)

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Only from a school outside of our coverage area (for local grads)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Probably, but it would depend on the quality of the story

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Never

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Wanted to do an informal poll about running SID copy. I'm not talking about gamers, but rather feature stories. I'm particularly curious if you'd be more likely to run a feature story written by an SID at a school outside of the coverage area for an athlete that went to a local high school then went away for college.

Do you do this currently? Have you changed your opinion about it? Would you do this more often if the quality of the stories was better?

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Would you pay a PR person to write a feature about their client?

I'd rather pay a local college student $50 to place a couple phone calls and do a story that I need to punch up a bit than get something from an SID. I'm sure there are some SIDs who would do fine work. Some are probably even former journalists. But they're not getting a dime from me. They can help set up the interviews. That's their job. I'll find someone else to do the interview and write the story.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Never. Quality has nothing to do with it. It's objectivity. Running something written by someone who works for the school just isn't right.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Not a chance in hell.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The SIDs can use their school's website for the articles.

studthug12 likes this.
  6. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

To clarify, there is no money involved. This would be a feature story written by an SID or someone at the university for publication on their website, university magazine, game program, etc., that was offered to run in your section as well.

7. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Not trying to pick a fight here, but why isn't it right? I used to think exactly along those same lines, but then I had my staff shred to pieces, my budget slashed to next to nothing, and more and more responsibility shoved down my throat. If some SID on the other side of the state does a decent feature on a local athlete and offers it to me for use in my newspaper, I'm running it. I'm making sure it's known that the SID wrote it, but I'm still running it. A local-boy-does-good feature is going to read pretty much the same if an SID writes it or a staff member writes it.

Batman likes this.
  8. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Here's one reason I don't think it's right: Those sports-department websites have essentially become another of your competitors. With their gamers, features, etc., they're inviting the people who are interested in Old State U to bypass you. I don't blame them for that; many of them have suffered with the declines of the papers that do or did cover them, and need to find some way to get the word out (or justify their existence since they're no longer placing stuff in the local paper).

Yeah, if they're out-of-area schools, the competition thing isn't really a factor. But it seems like this is just advertising, "Hey, here's something else we're not capable of doing ourselves."

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

If the options were running a SID feature or nothing at all, would you take nothing at all?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A house ad would be better.

Doc Holliday and SFIND like this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No money, then definitely not. If the SID was paying you or taking you out to the local nudie bar, maybe consider it.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Some sports journalists can actually become SID's? Wow. You wouldn't know it around here... every ad basically says "experience in a sports information office is REQUIRED!" Never mind I've essentially been doing the same thing most SID's have... lol

Back on topic... we do not run SID copy in the print edition, but our shop has an agreement with the colleges around the area to maintain a presence on our website. (We are an Advance shop, BTW.)

Draft saved Draft deleted