1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why WWE coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR119, Apr 21, 2016.

1. JR119

JR119 Member

It really is embarrassing how sports websites and sports newspaper sections cover entertainment wrestling.

But they all want their clicks. It belongs in the entertainment sections not sports.

Today's (Thursday's) news is about a famous female wrastler's death, BUT Doris Roberts died, too, and she played a mother of a famous sports writer. No coverage of that:(

Sell outs!!!

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree. It would never appear in our sports section. It's news, but not sports. No.

JR119 likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Do sports sections still cover the Westminster Dog Show? If they do, they can still cover pro wrestling, too.

On a serious note, you want to put content where the most interested eyeballs will see it.

For pro wrestling news, that's the sports section. That's where I'd look first.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Read Forbes' SportsMoney section for all of your WWE news.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like it or not, pro wrestling is entertainment, and the wrestlers are athletes, so it really can go in either section.

The matches, of course, shouldn't be covered as an actual sport, but the behind the scenes stuff, and learning about the wrestlers' lives out of the ring are legitimate stories, just like any other TV or movie.

Ignatius_J._Reilly likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen a wrestling story in a print newspaper......Web sites like SI or ESPN stick it on their Pages 2s or Extra Mustards or Grantland or whatever their "other" section is called....not sure where else it would go.

JR119 likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, the Philadelphia Inquirer ran the results of WWF Spectrum shows on the agate page.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't remember which NY tab (Daily News or the Post) used to run results from MSG, the Nassau Coliseum, the Meadowlands and, for a few years, Monday Night Raw.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

We always put the dog show in the A section as well.

You clearly have never seen my paper. :) We have features on a pretty regular basis. But I'm sure we are an exception.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I should say I haven't seen one lately and never the kind of JR is on about. I saw a feature on John Cena once....it was about his being in town for a fundraiser for his brother, an injured cop if I remember, but it was before he was a main eventer. I think the Boston Herald had a photo of Tyson from a Wrestlemania hype thing on their back page back in 1997.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

My employer covers WWE. It brings in clicks and advertising revenue. Do I think it's a sport? Nope. Some of the writers who cover it are talented and knowledgeable and they agree it's a soap opera for guys who collect action figures.

Old Time Hockey and JR119 like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had a hard time hearing you over all that harumphing.
    Agree that it should go in the entertainment section, but there's also no harm in putting it in sports if you think it's worth putting in the paper to begin with and that's where more people will see it.
    The days of being virtuous when it comes to this stuff are long gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted