1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You only cover us when we come back from the depths of hell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 20, 2016.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Irish Universities Athletic Games provide the sports call of the year.

"Helllllo."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's the accent that makes it so awesome.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Someone grabbed that dude by the balls with about 100 meters to go.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That has to be awful announcing hall of fame. It's got it all: commenters talking over each other, guessing what will happen vs. describing current action, and completely losing all vocal control at the crucial moment.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What in the name of Zippy Chippy was up with the girl in yellow? She finished fifth.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's because the other girls sucked so bad, or because the one was so awesome, but that was about the most dramatic close you'll ever see. She came from waayyyy back and passed the entire field with shockingly little distance left. Check out how ridiculously far behind she was at the beginning she when she took the baton (remember, our girl's on the all red team), how the hell could that much distance be closed so quickly? That takes a most rare disparity between awesomeness vs. suckiness that you rarely ever see beyond the high school level.

This one warranted some announcer lunacy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Dan Patrick was all over it this morning, even had the "depths of hell" broadcaster on, but I didn't realize just how far back the field was.

Unless she got hurt, I can't imagine how the leader ran such a lousy anchor leg.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I assume that the girl in yellow ran anchor because they would be in last by 75 yards if she ran first. Looks like the girls in blue and red/white just used everything up passing the girl in yellow.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You always put your best runner as the anchor for the exact reason you just saw. Unless your goal was to build a 300 yard lead by the time you get to the anchor, you want the fastest runner to finish.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Unless there is some reason a runner might run faster or slower in a certain spot, or an issue with exchanges, it doesn't matter what order you run them in.

I thought the call was a bit silly, personally

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do you believe in miracles? Yes!
    Always hated that. It sounded scripted. Rehearsed. And lame. This was great. But only for the ' depths of hell'as I imagine all the schools were Catholic Schools

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The anchor winner ran about a 55 second final leg. Long Beach Poly HS set the US high school record 10 years ago about half a minute faster.

Draft saved Draft deleted