1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pearl Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Whoa. RIP.
    That was the first college team I really loved. Him and seikely and young Derrick Coleman. So much talent.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Always jarring to see thread titles like this. Was this known? I hadn't heard anything about it.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wow. I covered the Big East (UConn) during his heyday. Loved watching Pearl.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He never played with Derrick Coleman.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Grew up in L.A. but loved and came of age with the Big East -- and Pearl was probably my first favorite Big East player (even though I hated Syracuse).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

RIP.

Wasn't he one of the first, or most prominent, of the so-called "playground legends?"

8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Yeah Sherman Douglas was the PG in Coleman's time and then took Pearl's place
    on The Heat.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Came along later. The original legends were Connie Hawkins and Roger Brown. Then came Herman The Helecopter, Earl Manigault and Fly Williams and a guy named Dr J

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes. Played at Boys & Girls High School in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn.

Diagnosed last summer. The Syracuse players apparently wore "Pearl" on their warmups during their Final Four run.

Pearl Washington 'quite emotional' watching Syracuse basketball reach Final Four

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw him play against my HS when I was in junior high. Utterly dominant.

I don't think that he had the physical tools or drive to make it at the highest level, but what a ball player.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted