1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God's sake! RIP Milt Pappas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Larry Parrish, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Larry Parrish

Larry Parrish Member

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Milt Pappas HOF?

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dickie is obviously sleeping, on a smoke break or on the treadmill. When you return Mr. Whitman that makes 3 threads. Milt Pappas, Larry Parrish and Al Oliver HOF. Four if you add Dave Hostetler.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is sad. I spoke with Milt on the phone for a half hour about two weeks ago, reminiscing about his career and the industry during the '60s and '70s. I wanted to fly him to NY to take part in a video project I'm working on, but he had recently gotten out of the hospital and he told me he wasn't ready to travel. So I told him I would visit him with a crew out in Illinois this summer. He seemed to genuinely enjoy the call and recalling some events, so I'm happy for that. RIP to a great player and a principled leader.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Riptide likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did you bring up Bruce Froemming?

6. cranberry

No, but I wish I had. Our conversation was mostly about the early days of the union.

8. cranberry

Milt quit as player rep of the Reds when the players, pressured by management, voted 13 -12 to play their game on the day of RFK's funeral. He was traded to the Braves three days later.

While nation mourned RFK, Cardinals reluctantly played

Cardinals players wanted to call off the game, The Sporting News reported, but because they were the visitors they left the decision to the Reds.

Reds manager Dave Bristol urged his team to play. Pitcher Milt Pappas, the Reds’ player representative, disagreed. Pappas told Bristol most Reds players preferred not to play the game, the Associated Press reported. Bristol responded that if he could find nine players to take the field the Reds would play.

“If we go out (on the field to play), we all go out,” Pappas replied. “If we do go out, find yourself a new player representative.”

Pappas took a vote of Reds players on whether to play. The outcome was 12-12, with one abstaining, The Sporting News reported. A second vote was held. This time, the result was 13-12 in favor of playing.

Wrote The Sporting News: “Pappas lost a power struggle within the club when several players heeded the urgings of manager Dave Bristol to play the game.”

Pappas, telling the Associated Press his “days with the club are numbered,” resigned as player representative.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

cranberry likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

From the OP link:

“That’s a question that may never be answered,” Milt Pappas told the Tribune in 1987. “Why she went that way; why nobody saw a car fly through the air into the pond.”

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I side with players over umps most of the time, but in that ESPN story Pappas comes off as a baby.

Draft saved Draft deleted