1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today on women's coaches gone nuts: Penn St. gymnastics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Former Penn State women's gymnasts speak out against coaches Jeff, Rachelle Thompson

Other than threatening the scholarships of gymnasts if they don't practice with injuries against medical advice, mental abuse that drove someone to a suicide attempt, stealing food from the dorm room of gymnasts they said needed to lose weight, body shaming, slut shaming, creating a hostile work environment that drove off a newly-hired assistant (who herself had been a national champion gymnast at UGa) and getting gymnasts put on Adderall so the would lose weight and birth control because they "wanted to structure workouts around the women’s menstrual cycles," it is hard to see what the big deal is.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Romania called, they think Penn State is the coolest

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Slut shaming? Do tell. Which ones?

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The design of that article was interesting. I'm not sure I would have gone with the tumbling clip art gymnasts on a story with that hard of a news edge.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"Any of these gymnasts hot? " - James Franklin

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine was a respected high school boys cross country coach who picked up a job coaching women's cross country at a nearby college. I asked him what the biggest difference between the two was and he sort of shook his head and said "telling 18-year-olds to go on the pill so they can all run at the same time."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The graphics worked for me, but, photos? Not in a TTIWWOP way, but to put names and faces together.

Aside from that, one heck of a read.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's the deal with married couples being co-head coaches of college gymnastics teams? </Seinfeld voice>

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, I guess being on that team is great training for working in one of Amazon's warehouses.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"You guys are just pieces in a business deal ..."

NCAA lawyers just banged their briefcases against their heads.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nuts and Penn State........just kinda goes together, doesn't it?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Facebook comments at the end of the article also are quite illuminating.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted