1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam cancels North Carolina show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I guess Jeremy's spoken

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Don't call me daughter. Call me son.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam is the Bruce Springsteen of Grunge. Terribly overrated.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick, are you against the"bathroom bill"?

In previous discussions, you've sought to separate support for trans issues/agenda from support for gay rights.

I think the law is dumb, but I'm surprised how much opposition has been raised to it.

Most of the opposition does seem to be very vague though. Are most people even aware of the laws provisions?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

0010 See which party is behind the bill
    0020 If your party is behind the bill, goto 0060
    0030 See who likes bill
    0040 If your friends like bill goto 0060
    0050 Link to Facebook meme in opposition to bill
    0060 Link to Facebook meme in support of bill
    0070 Run

BTExpress and Batman like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Every headline I read calls opposition to the bathroom bill, "anti-gay". I don't understand that.

8. YankeeFan

I'm not sure of all of the provisions. I know the big one is the bathroom thing. Are there also anti-gay provisions?

I really don't think most people who are "against" it know what they are against. They've just been told that it discriminates against the LGBT community, and that's enough for them.

I'm not sure many want to point out that it's the "T" who are targeted by the law.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It also bars local anti-gay discrimination ordinances.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This law is anti-trans, anti-LGBQ and discriminatory toward other minorities.

The bathroom portion is anti-trans because it clearly singles out a discrete minority group for disparate treatment.

The bill is anti-LGTBQ because it sets, for the first time, a statewide anti-discrimination policy that specifically excludes sexuality or gender identity as bases for a discrimination claim. It also supercedes any local anti-discrimination ordinances, such as those in the cities of Charlotte, Greensboro, Durham, Fayetteville and Chapel Hill.

It is discriminatory toward all minority groups because it removes a state cause of action for unlawful employment discrimination, leaving only the more difficult and expensive federal remedy.

It also inexplicably prohibits local governments from having minimum wage policies.

In my experience those opposed to it are well-versed on what the law does, and those in favor are fixated on the bathroom provisions, which they don't fully understand.

Lugnuts and bigpern23 like this.
  11. YankeeFan

Interesting. I remember hearing that, now that you mention it.

That sounds dumber than the bathroom provision.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It also bans victims of employment discrimination (age, gender, physical disability, religion, sexual preference, etc.) from suing the company in state court, the suit has to be brought in federal court.

Draft saved Draft deleted