1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Sports Designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Fry, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matt Fry

Matt Fry New Member

The Villages Daily Sun, America’s fastest growing daily newspaper, is seeking a seasoned sports designer to define the high-end of what is possible in community journalism.

We’re looking for a self-directed newsroom leader who’s comfortable presenting the sports section in a new and a sophisticated way. This position is focused on sports, but we produce weekly special projects, several special sections and niche products to which you could also contribute.

Ours is a newsroom that values experimental thinking and the power of unconventional storytelling. We offer the newshole, print quality, technology (fully Mac) and leadership support that enable good visual journalists to become truly great.

Our work is consistently recognized at the industry level – this year we were one of only seven American papers to make the first cut for “World’s Best Designed Newspaper” distinction from SND.

We’re a 90-mile drive to the beach, Orlando’s theme parks and the historic neighborhoods of Gainesville and St. Augustine. We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and access to a highly regarded charter school system in one of the state’s most idyllic settings.

You can see some of our philosophy on our tumblr page: vdailysun.tumblr.com

Then apply by sending a letter of introduction, a resume and portfolio to the attention of Associate Editor Matthew Fry at matthew.fry@thevillagesmedia.com. And then fill out the online application for the “production editor” position at http://www.compassinthevillages.com

2. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

How does one become the *fastest growing daily newspaper*?

Sounds like an intriguing gig for design enthusiasts, though.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

While I miss Florida and miss being around the water and all that, and the design opportunity actually looks cool, setting up shop in a retirement community with the cost of living in the state I don't think I could do. On the other hand, when I retire, maybe so

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hell, if the wife was willing to move back to Florida, I'd likely be on it.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Anyone with children is essentially disqualified.

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Fuck. I got two. Guess that means I'm hosed.

Draft saved Draft deleted