1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 15, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Start with two job openings, in Sacramento and Washington.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't see anyone with a reasonable hope of being a real NBA coach going to Sacramento.

3. HanSenSE

Definitely a "rent, don't buy" situation.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

LeBron is a free agent. Who will make a run at him? If you are the Lakers, don't you call him the minute his contract is officially up?

I see James toying with Cleveland, in his own passive-aggressive style.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you're the Lakers, I don't know why you wouldn't make a run at LeBron. With Kobe out of the picture, the Lakers will be lacking a big star. As far as what LeBron does, I think it really comes down to does he think he can win with the pieces in Cleveland or does he want to carry a bunch of youngsters to the conference finals on his back again.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Minnesota has interviews scheduled with Tom Thibodeau and Jeff Van Gundy, per Yahoo.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He'll never be satisfied. Look at the players he acquired in Miami, then left. He designed the roster in Cleveland now, but talks about other players.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That's the thing. He's got a wondering eye and wants to always change. So that may mean he leaves Cleveland and go to LA where he can be the big man in a big market with a lot of also rans. Maybe he convinces Melo and some others to come with him on a "hey, won't this be fun" kind of a thing. And when that blows up, ESPN will have The Decision 3 where he's takes his talents somewhere else.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If LeBron leaves- and I don't think he does- I think he goes somewhere with a lot more talent than the Lakers. I would think that he realizes- even with his gargantuan ego- that there is no way that squad could be beat the Spurs or Lakers.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Lakers only have $26M committed of a $92M salary cap for next season. They could do more than any team in history.

But I don't think LeBron is going anywhere.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think even he realizes that his public appeal takes a huge hit if he leaves Cleveland before winning a title. I only think he leaves eventually if 1) the Cavs win a title or 2) things bottom out horribly and it's not clearly his doing. Also, while the Warriors currently look unbeatable, the Cavs did take two games from them last year. A little luck, an injury going their way, Irving maturing, working Love into the offense better... There are non-longshot paths for the Cavs to win a title.

12. HanSenSE

Luke Walton says no to Knicks.

Draft saved Draft deleted