1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC theater chain CEO: 'You can't tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Haven't been to a movie in a theater in years, and this certainly won't provide any motivation.

That being said, if anything is done in silence and the movie is good enough, it should hardly matter.

3. Dick Whitman

I can recall texting late last year - some dirty stuff between myself and Mrs. Whitman. You can't blame me. But I tried to keep the phone under my coat so the rest of the theater was not bothered by either the glow or the steam rising off the screen.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is funny. As if AMC Theaters employed ushers tasked with telling 22-year-olds to turn off their phones in the first place.

It's like me saying I'm done contributing to greenhouse gases and am going to walk to work after my car broke down and I couldn't afford to repair it.

MisterCreosote and YankeeFan like this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If they want anybody to still be going to theaters 10 years from now they'll be coming up with second screen interactive content to go with the movies, not telling kids keep their devices off.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why aren't drive-ins more popular, aside from the fact that they sit on vacant land that can be turned into a Bed Bath and Beyond?

Can sit in your own car, eating your own food and not have to deal with assholes.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This idea is going to lead to homicides.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The movie theater experience has become so awful for us. We just wait and buy them on iTunes or watch on Netflix. I brought home a big popcorn bucket last time, and we just make our own theater experience. I cook a big batch of homemade popcorn, turn the lights off and the kids munch out on $.50 candy. Save, oh, 30 bucks, or so.

This is just icing on the cake for us.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, and Dick could bring his wife and make out instead of sexting her while wearing an overcoat in a dark thater.

10. Dick Whitman

The sexting was definitely going both ways, and I was not the initiator. I hope she's in her prime right now. I don't know how long I can continue to keep up otherwise.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's a stage in many marriages in which one partner occasionally picks a fight to get the ball rolling toward makeup sex.

Then there's the stage in many marriages in which one partner occasionally picks a fight ... so the other partner will sleep in the other bedroom.

Guess which stage my marriage is at? :p

I Should Coco, Fly and Ace like this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This should be cross-posted to "Take care of yourself," because now I won't be able to fucking eat for a week.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted