1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Kobe & the Warriors combine for the greatest regular season NBA night ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2016.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That was #hottakez on the sport talk radio, and the consensus was the argument could be made, given that the Warriors broke what was long hailed as an unbreakable record, Steph finished with 400+ 3 pointers to top his existing record by 20-something percent, and Kobe was, well, the Mamba.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"greatest regular season NBA night ever" sounds like something pulled straight out of the ass -- seriously, I'd like to see someone come up with an intelligent top-10 list of that -- but it was hella entertaining.

Also:

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know. David Thompson and Iceman's duel for the scoring title in '78 was pretty epic. After Thompson took the lead in early game going for 73! Gervin needed 58 to win the title - he finished with 63. This was a year before the three-point line was introduced.

FileNotFound and Fly like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since one was an exhibition game, no.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That was good too, but in 1978 ESPN didn't exist and NBA games on TV were fortunate to air in tape delay. That scoring race in no way captured the nation the same way that McGwire-Sosa did 20 years later or last night's games did.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So "Greatest ever" only applies to things that I saw on my TV?

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The game was on a sunday afternoon. I don't have an April 1978 TV Guide handy, but if there was a game going to be shown live on national tv, it'd be that one.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Shock and Awe" >>> D Day

9. LongTimeListener

How much did Thompson and Gervin have going in those games other than the points race? Looking at the standings -- which show both finished comfortably as the #2 seed in the conference but without the chance to catch #1 -- it appears they would have been in the same exhibition mode that Kobe and the Jazz were last night.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

David Robinson dropping 71 in the Spurs' regular-season finale to win the scoring title over Shaq is right up there with Gervin and Thompson.

FileNotFound and TigerVols like this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That is basically correct. Both guys had gunning for the scoring title prioritized above winning (which gave Gervin the later game advantage of knowing exactly how many he needed). In fact, a little detail Dan forgot to mention: BOTH lost the game to inferior teams. In fact, I believe Spurs got flat blown out by a woeful Jazz team--but, hey, the Iceman got the number he needed.

So, no, I'm not inclined to put an epic ballhoggery duel in which both guys lost the game on par with last night's show.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  12. LongTimeListener

When Michael Cage needed 29 rebounds to win the title and got 30, that was pretty awesome. I recall the Clips having the darnedest time with layups that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted