1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer Indians writers will only cover "select" road trips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know of at least one major newspaper that's had reporters writing road gamers off TV for almost a decade.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are they covering the Caucasians' road games?

Mister413 likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plain Dealer isn't the leader in anything except union busting.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, presumably, the paper ran a wire copy gamer.

Do the "beat writers" have anything in the paper during these road trips? Some profile? An evergreen story?

Do they spend the time working on some long feature that they'd never be able to do if they were traveling with the team every day?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They don't spend the paper's money. Isn't that enough?

7. TheSportsPredictor

They covered the game by watching on TV.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct. It's not about time. It's about the travel expenses. And MLB beat writers put in plenty of hours during the season, so a few days off now and then isn't a bad thing. Yes, it sucks that you can't go on the road, but my paper has missed some trips during tough times. It's just the nature of the beast these days.

Better off just running wires. I think writing off TV is, if not outright dishonest, at the very least misleading.

Liut and Tweener like this.
  9. YankeeFan

Seriously?

Did they write the gamers off of TV?

If yes, I would guess the story carried no dateline indicating where it was written, but other than that omission, was it made at all clear to the reader that the story was written from watching the game on TV?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

My guess is that it carried no dateline but otherwise gave no indication. And that's shady as hell, as I mentioned.

Liut likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

This says they're only covering select road trips, not just skipping one here and there. That's going to lead to more than the occasional day off for an overworked beat writer.

12. TheSportsPredictor

I didn't see the actual newspapers. Don't know what's in there. But usually it's the same stories that are on the Cleveland.com website. Those articles are written as if the person was at the game. No quotes. Descriptions of the games. Cleveland datelines. No indication they weren't there.

Draft saved Draft deleted