1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Ed Snider

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 11, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The founder of the Philadelphia Flyers and former owner of the Sixers:

Flyers founder Ed Snider dies at 83

He was the first owner I can remember who was a rabid fan first, and owner second.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

RIP to one of the giant figures in NHL history. Mr. Snider, Barry Ashbee and Gene Hart are reconnecting on the good times.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I know the man should be remembered for a hell of a lot more than this, but whenever I hear Ed Snider's name I immediately think of his rant about Terry Gregson after a Flyers OT loss to the Leafs during their opening round series in 1999. Can't find it on YouTube but it was excellent.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was also involved with the Eagles before the Flyers came along.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am thinking about a story they told on the Broad Street Bullies documentary they did on HBO.

In 1976, the Soviet Red Army team was making its way through the NHL. They beat everyone. Then they played the Flyers in Philly. Early on the Flyers were hitting and trying to intimidate the Russians, and Ed Van Impe crushed Valeri Kharlamov, hurting him pretty badly. The Red Army coach pulled his team from the ice.

Supposedly, Snider went back to their locker room and told them to get back on the ice. ... or they weren't getting paid. The Russians came out and finished the game, and lost. The joke was, "The Russians were capitalists that day." Or something like that.

Liut likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Even Communists expected a day's pay for a day's work. Or as the joke went, "We pretended to work, and they pretended to pay us."

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Excellent recall, Ragu. HBO re-aired the doc this morning and though I had seen it before, it lured me away from Charlie Rose and his gang for a while. Cool to see Jay Greenberg interviewed. IIRC, he was a Kansas City Scouts beat writer right out of Mizzou.

Draft saved Draft deleted