1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ex-Saint DE Will Smith in road rage shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was a hell of a player at Ohio State and with the Saints. His wife was shot, too, though apparently only suffered minor injuries.

Apparently he was shot and killed after his car collided with another. Sounds like a sensible way to handle things.

Will Smith, shot dead in road rage incident, had storied career with Saints

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Sounds like Smith was rear-ended by a Hummer. Words exchanged, shots fired. Scary stuff. Not exactly a bad part of New Orleans.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are going to get into a beef with someone on the road, probably better to argue with someone in a Prius than someone driving a Hummer. Though I hate to racially profile autos.

4. Dick Whitman

I never, ever get into it with other drivers any more. Never. Too many stories like this. I don't want to die this way.

Silver lining, though, is that the other driver's Second Amendment rights have been maintained.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not worth it. People are crazy. Once when I was 16, had a guy want to me to get out of the car and fight him on the median of a four-lane road in Houston because he I went ahead of him at a 4-way stop and he thought the person on the right always had the right-of-way.

I tried to explain that everyone had someone on their right, but wouldn't get out of my parents' station wagon to fight him, though I was tempted.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm sure there's nothing more to this story.

7. Dick Whitman

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that there is in this case. I mean, maybe Smith was being a raging asshole after the guy back-ended him or something. But other than that ... ?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

And before YF takes this down the path he's wanting to take it down, the stories I've seen have explored every possible connection between Smith and this guy, including the fact that Smith was friends with some cop the guy sued, and the fact that a lot of NFL players played against him at some point. There's even a quote from law enforcement that says these are likely just coincidences.

There's only so much the media can do here, at least in the immediate aftermath. So far, at least, it seems they've done their jobs.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the guy sued the cop for the wrongful death of his father in 2005, and Smith apparently ate dinner with the cop earlier that evening.
    http://deadspin.com/will-smiths-alleged-murderer-is-a-former-high-school-fo-1770144098

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ooh. That is one hell of a coincidence.

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted