1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BUJP, Apr 6, 2016.

1. BUJP

BUJP New Member

Newly created position in our newsroom. Feel free to shoot me an email with any questions at jpelletier@sunjournal.com

Assistant Sports Editor

Looking to take that next step in your journalism career?

An award-winning, seven-day-a-week newspaper and online media outlet in Lewiston, Maine is adding an Assistant Sports Editor’s position! We’re looking for someone who is willing and able to help lead one of the best pound-for-pound sports departments in the country. The ideal candidate will be well organized, able to help schedule shifts, run the slot and help with layouts when needed. He or she will be active digitally, and will write on a regular basis, help complete and edit long-term projects, file features and deliver the occasional game story.
    The ideal candidate will be asked to step right into the fire. We are looking to move quickly to fill this position. We pride ourselves on our high school and local sports coverage, and have been nationally recognized for our efforts. We are looking for someone who can meet those expectations, and help lead us to even greater heights.
    Core requirements include a four-year college degree in journalism or communications, or commensurate experience; intimate knowledge of and proficiency in the basic skills of journalism — writing, reporting, storytelling, AP style; knowledge of and proficiency in the practices of digital journalism — blogging, social media, basic video editing, etc.; and full-time reporting or editing experience. Knowledge of Adobe suite programs is a definite plus, as is the ability to take sports action photos.
    We are a family-run news organization that takes great pride in its ability to serve the surrounding communities, and the ability to develop and maintain working relationships with coaches, athletic directors and athletes is very important.
    This is a great opportunity for the right individual. A comprehensive benefits package is included. Pay commensurate with experience. Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing samples and links to any digital work to Justin Pelletier, Managing Editor, Nights/Sports, at jpelletier@sunjournal.com, and include the subject line: Assistant Sports Editor.

Or, send all requested materials here:

Sun Media Group
    Attn: Human Resources
    PO Box 4400
    Lewiston, Me 04243-4400
    Email: humanresources@sunjournal.com

2. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Highly recommend working for Justin.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Is it a real assistant sports editor, or assistant in name only (i.e., a two-man shop)

4. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

We have four full-timers and a few part-timers

5. I'll second that. There's a reason why Justin and this paper win a ton of APSEs every year. Quality work. The winter weather, though, isn't fun.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I never knew we had so many Mainers here.

7. BUJP

BUJP New Member

I will certainly answer questions for anyone who has them, as well.

Our shop is about average size for a paper of our circulation. Sure, the winter weather can be tough, but if you have any penchant for skiing/snowboarding or hockey when the snow flies, or you like hiking, the ocean or other outdoor activities, this is a nice spot. Low cost of living for the most part in our area, too.

We work hard, but with a fully staffed, fully trained group, it's a fun kind of working hard. We take a lot of pride in what we do here.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What precisely do you mean by "newly created position"?

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Will there be any regional bias in this hire?

10. BUJP

BUJP New Member

wicked: The position as it will exist going forward did not exist before. A longtime writer is semi-retiring/moving away, and (yes, completely coincidentally) my job as SE has expanded into a bigger position here in the newsroom that involves other departments, as well. So instead of hiring "only" a writer, management has allowed me to create this ASE position to help with some of the admin duties. There is still writing involved (which, for the right fit, could also include columnist duties), and some page planning will be involved, as well.

DeskMonkey1: Not quite sure what you mean by "regional bias." Will we disqualify someone from Oregon or California just for being located there? Of course not. But like any shop, we have to move on our own timeline, given the moving parts in our department. Anyone who believes they are qualified can certainly apply, and will receive equal consideration.

11. BUJP

BUJP New Member

Just to update, since it seem like forever ago that I did:

We have made a hire for this position, and will be announcing that soon.

Thank you to everyone who applied. We had a great pool of applicants, so much so that it took far longer than expected to get through the process. We are looking forward to bringing our newest team member on board.

Cheers!

12. BUJP

BUJP New Member

Just to follow up one more time, since it has become official on all fronts:

The Sun Journal is pleased to have hired Lee Horton for the position of Assistant Sports Editor. Lee comes to the Sun Journal from about as far away as possible in the lower 48, making the trek from Port Angeles, Washington and the Peninsula Daily News. Welcome aboard, Lee.

Again, thanks to everyone who applied. This was a tough decision all around.

TGO157, I Should Coco, Potter and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted