1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No talk about Chuck Culpepper's masterful NCAA game story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Apr 6, 2016.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Stunning that no one has even mentioned Chuck Culpepper's masterpiece in the Washington Post off Monday's championship game.

This was filed on deadline: Kris Jenkins hits buzzer-beating three-pointer to lift Villanova past North Carolina for NCAA title

It was being passed around late Monday night/early Tuesday morning and I thought for sure it would have been shared here. Not one mention on this forum or in the Selection Sunday/college basketball thread.

Further proof this is sportsjournalists.com in name only. Wasn't all that long ago that something like this would be dissected and analyzed as to why it works so well. Maybe even Chuck would show up to add more details on how it came to pass.

Guess that's not happening here. Well, I for one was blown away by the piece. Kudos to Chuck.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Great read, and thanks for linking. Just didn't have time to get to a lot of game stories yesterday.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for checking in, Chuck!

Just kidding.

I enjoyed the story. It was close to being overwritten for my tastes, but in this case, I saw it more as the story immediately cluing you in that it really was an all-time great game. I can't imagine being able to pump out something like that on deadline.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll take it a step farther and say it's quite overwritten, especially the lede. Had some great stuff in there, but I was rolling my eyes two grafs in.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Nothing about abortion in that story.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with this. A bit much for my tastes.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. This is terrific. Especially this part:

That's a great detail.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. I noticed him mopping that spot on the floor and handing the mop back to the kid, and I wonder what the heck was up with that.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

They mentioned on the broadcast he had slipped previously, presumably in that spot.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For some reason my wife had it on the UNC stream. Different announcers.

Draft saved Draft deleted