1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad News Bears 40th

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Didn't Bad News Bears when it first came out. Too young.

But it's one of those flicks that I will stop and watch every time I'm flipping around. Hard to believe it came out 40 years ago.

Never saw the remake. Just seemed... wrong.

Fun read on it's 40th.

Good news, we found The Bad News Bears for their 40th anniversary

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They filmed part of the movie in a park not far from where I lived and players on the Yankees were from the Little League I played in. They were a few years younger, but I knew a couple. The kid kicked in the nuts by Tanner is the brother of a classmate

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite baseball movie by far.

Some of the humor hasn't aged well, though.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just like the original Rocky, you can't recreate that time and place in America.

Still the best baseball movie 40 years later.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When we were in Cali two years ago my cousin's husband, a SoCal native, was driving us around, I told him I wanted to go to the park where they filmed it, he said he knew where it was but the traffic was too crazy to get there. Next time.

Years ago some talk radio guys here in Toronto were killing time putting together a list of the best movie baseball players at each position. They couldn't find a shortstop so they asked Pat Gillick, Jays' GM at the time and the next guest, and he never hesitated: "Tanner Boyle". Gave a pretty good scouting report on the kid...."fiery....gamer..."

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"Bad News Bears" came out in 2005. "The Bad News Bears" is 40.

I'm still digesting the fact that "Ghostbusters" is 30. I thought it was kids that aged you, not movies.

I feel very old.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Every day in our section, we have a one-paragraph blurb teasing a game or whatever that's on TV.
    Some years ago, on a slow summer day, our then-SE wrote one encouraging our readers to watch "the family-friendly classic The Bad News Bears."
    It had been a while since he'd seen it, and it turned out what was airing was the unedited version, not the TV version.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"BNB" would never get a PG-13 today; it's a hard-R by today's standards.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

True. I'm guessing a movie like Blazing Saddles or a TV show like All in the Family couldn't be made today. At least not on regular TV. Maybe Netflix, etc.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It would have to come down to The Bad News Bears or Grease as to what movie has been stripped of its essence the most by cable TV.

11. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Say what you want about TBNB but the original is still the one with a jersey in Cooperstown. The remake, which was so bad by my standards, is nothing more than a brash way to give billy bob Thornton and Marcia gay Hardin something to do between quality starts. Note the baseball pun. Just for the record Migel Aguilar's No. 7 jersey is on display in the same case as Ebbie Calvin Nuke Laloosh and Shoeless Joe's from Field of Dreams.

12. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

I know bull Durham on Ebbie Calvin. So I forgot to differentiate

Draft saved Draft deleted