1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News: Senior Writer and Digital Producer(s) in Charlotte, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AdiJoseph, Mar 31, 2016.

1. AdiJoseph

AdiJoseph New Member

Hello, Sporting News is seeking writers and digital producers with aggressive, versatile backgrounds in sports media. Relocation requirements will be dependent on the candidate and role. I will check back here to address questions. Thank you. — Adi Joseph, Sporting News Deputy Editor

Senior Writer / Producer | Perform Group Careers

Senior Writer / Producer - Charlotte, N.C., USA

JOB DETAILS

Department: Perform Media/Sporting News
    Job Title: Senior Writer / Producer
    Reports To: Deputy Editor

JOB PURPOSE

The Senior Writer / Producer role is responsible for developing content that will help take the Sporting News brand into the future. This person will be involved in all aspects of editorial content creation.

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES

• Juggle multiple tasks, from conceptualization to editing, writing and publishing content.
    • Work across all sports on a wide range of content, from text to images and video.
    • Apply best practices across social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
    • Strong understanding of what does (and does not) resonate among sports fans.
    • Keen awareness of analytics: must apply that understanding to content creation.

REQUIREMENTS

• Strong grammar skills, meticulous attention to detail and a firm grasp of AP style.
    • 4-6 years’ experience preferred, with emphasis upon writing, news judgment and publishing.
    • Ability to work intelligently and collaboratively in a fast-paced newsroom environment.
    • Working nights and weekends required.
    • Strong knowledge of all sports is a must.

BENEFITS

You are eligible for the following benefits on first day. No waiting period!
    • 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) from the start
    • Unlimited sick time – Need a day, take a day!
    • 9 paid holidays
    • Affordable Health benefits (dental and vision included)
    • Short and long term disability paid by the company
    • Basic term life insurance and personal accident insurance paid by the company
    • 401(k)
    • Flexible work environment
    • Casual attire

To apply, send your CV and a covering letter, stating which role you are applying for to careers@performgroup.com

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Maybe I missed something but the top mentions multiple roles -- and the bottom says to state "which role you are applying for" -- but I only see one role/job "senior writer/producer." The job purpose even uses "role" and "person," the singular form.

3. AdiJoseph

AdiJoseph New Member

As far as the last line, Perform Group's listed careers email address receives applications for all open jobs across the company. Specify that you are applying for the Sporting News Senior Writer / Producer role in order to differentiate your application from, say, an accounting job in Leeds.

While the listing is one role, we likely will hire more than one person and expect to place the hires in positions where they can help us most. That is why the job listing is somewhat vague. We want the best candidates who exemplify aggressive, experienced, versatile sports journalism.

Thanks, and I hope this clears up any confusion.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

To clarify, when you say "Relocation requirements will be dependent on the candidate and role", does the job require relocation to Charlotte for the job, or can this be remote?

5. AdiJoseph

AdiJoseph New Member

Your question begs its answer.

All I can add is that relocation would be required for most candidates.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Was wondering the same.

7. Potter

Potter Member

Is there any reporting involved in this position? The title/duties suggest not, but I ask to be sure.

8. AdiJoseph

AdiJoseph New Member

Nearly everyone on our staff reports from time to time. These jobs will not be focused on that, though.

9. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Adi: I'm sure I speak for many in asking this, based upon your last reply that "These jobs will not be focused on that (reporting), though."

With all due respect, then where does the Senior Writer aspect come into play? To most of us, a Senior Writer is someone who is just that, a higher-level writer. Or if this is a Senior Producer role, that's a lot different than a Senior Writer role.

Can you please clarify?

Thanks.

10. AdiJoseph

AdiJoseph New Member

Well, again, these likely will be separated into different roles depending on the candidates we decide to hire. The senior writer — as with many positions labeled "writer" rather than "reporter" — would be someone with a strong, well-developed voice and an understanding of what types of stories and topics will draw reader interest. Yes, that person sometimes would report out original stories, but if you prefer newspaper parlance, think of the phrase "senior writer" as meaning something closer to "columnist."

11. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Can I ask how quick you are looking to fill these roles. I mean is it a within the next 5 days thing or more of a longer time span?

12. AdiJoseph

AdiJoseph New Member

Not the next five days.

Draft saved Draft deleted